Chapter 18: Valley of The Dolls

"I'm so nervous

"I'm so nervous. I can hardly breathe. Seraphine, darling, be careful with your steps." Emilia rambled on as she floated down the gilded marble stairs with Wells stumbling in front of her as onlookers dressed in jewels and vibrant colors snickered and whispered about him. "Or you'll fall like him." She added disdainfully.

Scarus held up Wells before he fell and dragged him down the stairs. He didn't appear so happy taking care of the drunkard and was only doing so to make sure that Sera and his image was not tainted.

Unlike his usual appearances, he was actually here as a guest as Icarus Redcliff not Scarus the guard. He even dressed up differently much to Sera's surprise. His scarred face was covered with a metal bluish-gray mask that only covered half his face. His usual all-black and dark gray attire was exchanged for a gray two piece suit with a black dress shirt.

Sera didn't say anything to Emilia or comment on Scarus and instead focused on her steps. She was still getting used to wearing high heeled shoes everytime she went anywhere in the Capitol. Every now and then, she would pause and carefully check her surroundings while gripping the skirt of her dress.

The off the shoulders dark blue dress changed colors as she moved like the fabric was one massive oil spill. She didn't hate it and she didn't like it either but she didn't complain since Eos seemed overly pleased with her design meant to commemorate Sera being sixteen. It was her shoes, she didn't like. The dainty high heels were held together by flimsy pieces of strong colored leather which tested her confidence every time she took a step.

If she had a choice, she would have stayed holed up in her apartment or her room on the District 5 floor-she didn't have a choice and had to accept the invitation from some Director whose name she had quickly forgotten the moment she stepped into the ballroom.

What she remembered was how important the guest of honor was.

Emilia and Eos had mentioned his name to her a few times, emphasizing how important and famous he was. Even the President had mentioned the Director's invite and suggested she attend which meant she really had no choice but to accept.

She also needed some sponsors for Zephyr, even though he was adamant about not wanting any. She shot him down on the spot-she needed to keep up her image. At first she agreed but after a quick discussion with Emilia, she changed her mind. Ira's begging for her own sponsors certainly helped as well.

She was confused on why Zephyr didn't want any sponsors, remembering the last conversation the two had before he was sent to the arena. She remembered sitting down with both Ira and Zephyr after they received their scores with Ira scoring a 'Six' and Zephyr, a 'Three'.

Both seemed pleased with their score.

Ira was disappointed at first which was quickly replaced with joy once Zephyr's score was revealed. Zephyr didn't care about his score even when Sera emphasized he might not get any sponsors, to her surprise he said. "This works out well for me. I didn't want any sponsors in the first place." Ira paled hearing him, thinking he had some diabolical plan to win.