Chapter 20: Piece By Piece

Sounds of thunder echoed through the restless city as Sera quietly sorted a pile of flowers separating them with a gloved hand

Sounds of thunder echoed through the restless city as Sera quietly sorted a pile of flowers separating them with a gloved hand. Through the small gap in the curtains she could see droplets clouding up her window covering the vision of the night sky of the Capitol.

Occasionally, she'd stop to watch the games before carrying on with her task. Bunching up twelve stems of both white and purple lilacs, separating them and putting them with some ivy, she'd left on the side. She took some irises and carefully pruned them before adding them to her bouquet, placing them carefully between the white and purple lilacs and the ivy.

"Day Nine of the 69th Hunger Games." Caesar started to address the nation as sudden thunder echoed against the background of Sera's apartment.

Zephyr had surprised her and Panem. She didn't really think the older boy had what it took for him to win but now he was so close. There were only a handful of tributes left, if Zephyr played his cards right, he'd have no problem winning.

She had her doubts.

The tributes that year were particularly strong as if that wasn't enough, the arena was hellish. Plutarch Heavensbee wasn't lying when he said he wanted to put on an unforgettable show-it was an unforgettable show, alright. Maybe it was the blazing heat or something entirely else but the tributes were more vicious than previous years.

She couldn't even remember her games being that vicious. No, hers were more strategic. The long and cold drawn out days and nights that never seemed to end were less bloody but more heart wrenching.

"Ah, this might be one of the fastest games we've had so far." Claudius was speaking as the image of a tribute from 2 or 1 appeared on the screen.

"That's correct, a sharp contrast to last year's game. Maybe the gamemakers wanted to change it up." Caesar added, waving his hand to change the screens behind him to show a short clip of her game.

Snip.

A head of a lunaria was snipped of accidentally. She clicked her tongue and gathered the fallen head to discard it just as the screen showed Valor tossing Ripley's deformed body into the frozen lake. The screen didn't focus on the scene for a long time but her mind did.

Now, Zephyr was standing over the corpse of his last ally, strangely mirroring how Sera looked upon Gaius right after she mercy-killed him. Only Gaius and her knew whether the kill was merciful.

"Good morning." Finnick's oddly chipper voice cut through Sera's thoughts like a knife; she gently placed a half pruned stem of a white chrysanthemum down. "You look busy. I didn't really think you actually made bouquets for a living."

Sera stared up at him with a soft smile and checked the clock behind him on the wall. "It's actually evening." She removed her gloves and directed him over to the kitchen where she had left his dinner. "And second of all, my aunt's a florist. I used to help her out before."