Chapter 42: Heart's Grave

Muted sounds of violins and flutes greeted Sera when she stepped back into the ballroom, the sounds of laughter and clinking champagne glasses married with the almost muted music of the orchestra

Muted sounds of violins and flutes greeted Sera when she stepped back into the ballroom, the sounds of laughter and clinking champagne glasses married with the almost muted music of the orchestra. The ballroom was still the same maze of glistening chandeliers and tables draped in opulent yet simple linens, and her eyes never seemed to stop scanning the room as she effortlessly floated between guests.

She'd expected to be swarmed by some of the guests or any of the curious orphans wondering where she went but to her surprise, the large foyer turned ballroom of the orphanage was emptier than before and if that wasn't enough, most of the guests had cocooned in the opposite corner of the room.

She didn't know if she was glad or concerned that she wasn't the one under the spotlight for once but seeing Finnick smile and laugh as if nothing was wrong in the world almost fooled her.

Like the strings of the violins, she felt a slight tug at her heart when his eyes met hers and momentarily he stopped smiling. She looked away just as Cashmere stepped back into the room as beautiful as she ever was with not a trace of her tears or the mess of a girl that was with Sera upstairs, crying about how much she hated her life.

"Looks like we weren't missed after all." Cashmere crossed her arms around her chest, an arrogant but sympathetic look on her face as she glanced between Finnick and Sera.

"That's a good thing."

"Is it?"

"Would you rather be questioned by everyone about...Consul Droit or where you went or why you were missing for over three hours?"

Cashmere paled.

"Thought so."

Sera feigned a smile and nodded her head at a few passers-by before she spoke. "If I didn't know any better you almost sound jealous, Cash." She lightly teased.

"You're not jealous that he's getting all the attention?" A few guests ran their hands up and down his arms. Sera pretended she didn't see a thing as she smiled and waved at some of the passing children.

"Should I be?" She countered. She hated attention.

"Maybe? I mean this event was to raise funds for these kids and you're the host."

She shrugged. She had more important things on her mind—she needed to kick the Consuls out. Consul Droit was under the custody of the Peacekeepers in another building but he was still on the premises and so was Scarus. She couldn't just leave those two alone. She needed Scarus out and then she needed to go over her plans after she called it a night.

Jealousy was a wasted emotion.

"I'm actually thankful for his...distractive presence."

If Finnick wasn't here, she'd get bombarded with questions and so many inquisitive glances that would make her head spin. She didn't have time for that or the mental capacity to handle the questions. Even if she didn't want to think about it, he was more helpful than she'd ever like to admit.