Chapter 35: Today's Friend, Tomorrow's Enemy

Scarus held out his hand for Sera as they stood on the mezzanine a few steps away from the landing the grand staircase in the Presidential Palace

Scarus held out his hand for Sera as they stood on the mezzanine a few steps away from the landing the grand staircase in the Presidential Palace. The Palace was decorated once more for another Victory Dinner which was really more of a ball than a formal dinner. Yet with all things in the Capitol, nobody really cared and most were there just to have a good time. Some like Sera would rather be elsewhere.

Though neither Scarus or Sera wouldn't lie and say that the decorations and festivities weren't nice to observe from a distance. For Scarus, the faux smile and laughter was something comforting as it was all he knew but for Sera she preferred the decorations. She didn't really care much for the people despite what everyone thought of her.

"There's a lot of people here." Sera said.

Scarus nodded. "Yes, Minister Thistlewood and the Senate wanted to really celebrate the start of a new decade of the games."

"So they pushed for an extended guest list?" Scarus nodded once more.

Sera glanced around the ballroom, taking in the change of the ballroom. It was dressed according to the victor's district. Four was the winner this time around and to commemorate the district of fishing and water, the crystal chandeliers were replaced by pearl chandeliers strung together like a net. The walls had changed temporarily into an iridescent scalloped patterned wall and even the curtains were changed to a sea-blue to match the district's theme.

"Are you looking for him?" Scarus asked, eying her carefully.

She rolled her eyes and tried her best not to curse out loud. "I have no idea what you're talking about, I'm just admiring the decorations."

"It's nothing special. It was like this for your Victor's Dinner."

"I don't really remember it." She was being honest too. She couldn't really remember her Victor's Dinner much apart from that little moment where she accidentally found Leora and Cashmere being drugged before she was dragged away by Finnick. Back then she was lost that she didn't know anything, where she was going or what was happening.

Things were somehow better when she was ignorant to the world around her.

Scarus believed her when she said she didn't remember the dinner yet he couldn't help but think she was looking for Finnick Odair. "President Snow won't be pleased." He warned her quietly. It wasn't right for him to use his position to his advantage but he couldn't help it.

"I suppose I should shut my eyes or blind myself so that way I won't see anything you don't want me to." She muttered. That seemed to do the trick as the guard promptly closed his mouth.

She went back to her observation and took note how the Capitolites were dressed less like exotic birds but more like rare fishes or sea creatures in various shades of blue, green, silver and some in gold. Some wore iridescent white or cerulean outfits that reminded her of a wave in the sun when they moved.