Chapter 46: Power and Control

"Fifteen minutes and forty-seven seconds

"Fifteen minutes and forty-seven seconds." President Snow stopped tapping his fingers. "You're late, Consul." President Snow calmly stated.

Scarus' gaze lingered on Sera and Finnick, sitting so close together. His lips twisted into a frown. "The traffic was horrendous."

"The traffic?" Plutarch echoed back. "I thought the roads would be much emptier at this time."

"They usually are," Seneca chimed in with a small smile but Sera found it funny that he was pretending. "I've managed to get home from a gala in under ten minutes."

"Marvelous, Seneca." President Snow clicked his tongue and lazily motioned Scarus to take a seat. "Take a seat Icarus, it's not like we all have all night for this."

"You kept President Snow waiting, Consul." Finnick began as Sera's hand around his tightened in warning. He ignored that and mischievously glanced between President Snow and Scarus. "I'm sure traffic wasn't the only reason for your lateness." He said.

Scarus' lips twitched as he let out a quiet laugh. "Aren't you something, Odair?" He said between his laughs. "Such keen and...pretty eyes. I know someone who loves your pretty eyes."

"Is there anyone in Panem that doesn't?"

"Seraphine." Scarus looked straight at her with narrow eyes.

Sera looked up and looked around the table before stopping at Scarus. "Yes?" She frowned.

"What do you think of Finnick?"

"Excuse me?" She tilted her head to the side innocently, widening her eyes a little as she stared at the men around the table. She was confused why he was suddenly bringing her into the conversation.

"You're confusing the poor girl." Plutarch laughed and Sera bit down the urge to throw her glass at Scarus.

"I hardly think Seraphine is one to be taken by the frivolous charms of Finnick," Seneca quipped. "No offense."

"None taken," Finnick said with a bright smile as he caressed Sera's hand under the table. "But I don't see how the topic shifted from Consul Redcliff being late to Seraphine's taste in men."

Sera choked on her drink and nudged Finnick with her leg to mind his words. His grin only stretched wider. "Can we talk about something else?"

"Please do." President Snow said, shaking his head. "I am more interested in Consul Redcliff's tardiness than Seraphine's lack of interest in Finnick." He gave a pointed look to Sera. She hung her head low, knowing that would be a conversation saved for later.

"Like I said; traffic was horrendous." Scarus doubled down on his lie. "I think it's hardly fair that someone as hardworking as me is being questioned like this—it almost feels like an interrogation."

"You do have some experience in that field, don't you?" Finnick said. "Given your experience as an Elite Guard..." He trailed off noticing the dark look on Scarus' face. "Oh was I not supposed to mention that? Is that your shameful past?"