Chapter 47: The Moon and The Sea

President Snow waited, letting the time tick by while the table was cleared before he finally spoke

President Snow waited, letting the time tick by while the table was cleared before he finally spoke. "How long have you known about Consul Redcliff and Consul Harada?"

"Not very long." She confessed. "I was about to inform you about it earlier before the dinner."

"Consul Redcliff is moving through the ranks very quickly, don't you think?"

She raised her brows. She would've answered 'yes' and said something to incriminate Scarus but somehow it felt too easy; she couldn't help but think that it was a trap.

"I'm not sure what you mean—I don't know how long it takes for someone to move up ranks."

"For someone like Consul Redcliff who was removed from the Elite Guards and then somehow managed to become a Consul," He paused, a fog overtaking his cold eyes. "It takes a while even longer than it would take a Peacekeeper."

She didn't say anything, waiting for a moment to observe the President while pretending she was in deep thought. He seemed like he was speaking from experience.

Questions on the tip of her tongue were swallowed as she only sat there silently.

She'd be stupid to ask him about his past; there was a reason why not many from his past were alive or anywhere at the top and she'd hate to find the reason why.

"I wasn't aware." She said, "I'll keep an eye on him and his father."

"Perceptive as always." He mused, though there was a flicker of suspicion but the troubled look on her face told him enough. "I'd like you to keep an eye on Finnick Odair as well when you have time—find out if he really has been around Alea." Her heart dropped and she balled up her fists while nodding. "There's an event you were supposed to attend tomorrow, isn't there? To feed the orphans in Alea."

"There is."

"Tell me if you see him."

"I will," He rose from his seat and she did the same, following him down the marble steps. "If I see him that is." She added.

"If you see him." He repeated. "He'll probably be more cautious if he is wandering in Alea." He stopped at the threshold of his office, waiting for the Peacekeepers guarding the doors to open them. He stepped in and waited for her to follow him in before signaling for the doors to be shut. "Find out what he's been up to."

"I don't think he'll tell me—he's different from the Capitol citizens." He doesn't trust her. She didn't say that out loud but she knew he didn't trust anymore. "He doesn't trust me."

It hurt to say it out loud; Finnick didn't trust her.

"No, but he is interested in you and so is Consul Redcliff and Seneca Crane."

"Oh." She said softly. "I didn't realize."

"Is your head full of flowers, Miss Reza?"

"Not at all. I j-just," She scrunched up her face into a frown. "I just didn't think about it."