Chapter 48: Pieces in Place

Thin white streaks of light permeated into Sera's room like spider webs casting its net over her

Thin white streaks of light permeated into Sera's room like spider webs casting its net over her. The scent of jui, sorrels and freesias filled the room. She felt hot, her skin was on fire despite Capitol hardly ever becoming that hot.

She felt a gentle touch tracing delicate lines on her scarred arm, tickling her senses. A faint smile tugged at the corners of her lips, but before she could open her eyes, a voice interrupted her peaceful awakening.

"Morning, sleepyhead," Finnick's voice whispered, his breath warm against her ear. "It's still dark outside. The sun's not fully up yet."

Sera's brows furrowed slightly, confused as to why she was hearing Finnick's voice but she didn't question it. She sleepily nodded, nestling closer to the sound of his voice. She felt his body shake with silent laughter before his fingers stopped tracing lines around her wounds and instead started combing through her hair.

He leaned down and placed a chaste kiss on her head before sitting up. Her eyes fluttered open, and she found herself facing his handsome face, his ocean-blue eyes glimmering mischievously.

"What time is it?" Her face flushed and hot as she looked wildly around the room before looking at herself.

Finnick was shirtless, his shirt around her and her dress on the floor. Her half-ripped dress lay at the foot of the bed, she winced-Eos was going to be furious.

"It's early and you don't look happy to wake up next to me."

"No. No. I have ripped a dress that my stylist worked hard on." She said, shaking her head before leaning forward and placing a quick kiss on his lips. He pulled her in deeper but she pulled back and placed a single finger on his lips as he grinned. "...Also I'm late. I have two appointments today and if I'm not there, I'm screwed."

"The sun's barely up." He groaned, pulling her back into her bed and into his embrace. "You know I'm skipping my...appointments. We...can go back to bed and...carry on where we left off last night. I'm sure you can make up a better excuse than I did."

Biting her lips, she threw her head back. The urge to stay in bed all day was strong. "...I could." She could pretend her sickness had gotten worse but Emilia would have her head since she would be taking her place. "But those two appointments are charity events-one is a food distribution event in Alea and the other is an auction-I kinda have to hand over a painting that's gonna be put for sale."

Finnick stared at Sera. He didn't really expect her to actually work, he expected that her charity work only extended to private dinners, galas and hospital visits where she'd pick up potential targets for Snow. "You're actually involved in genuine charity work? Huh. Who would've thought?"

She scoffed and playfully hit his chest. He pretended he was hurt before looking up. "I know what it looks like but I've got good things going on and if...if...it all doesn't work out, who knows-I can try to extend my charity work to the districts. I can help in my own way. I know it's me being overly optimistic but-"