Chapter 30: Alone Together

The walk from Leora's apartment at midnight to the car outside was silent and lonely

The walk from Leora's apartment at midnight to the car outside was silent and lonely. Nobody walked beside her in the dimly lit corridors which felt longer than usual. Scarus was the only one she saw when she got outside. He had his hood up, covering his scarred face with wisps of his long dried blood colored hair peeking from underneath the hood.

Neither spoke a word as she got into the car, he sat beside her and would furtively glance at her. She did her best to stay calm and keep her face blank as the car took her to the Presidential Palace. Her previously trembled blood-stained hands were scrubbed clean of Leora's blood. She had even changed out of the blood-stained clothes she wore before, burning them when she had changed into a burgundy coat dress with embroidered pimpernels in matching burgundy thread.

At the entrance of the Presidential Palace, she was greeted by some Peacekeepers—something that caught her attention. She recalled during her last visit, Elite Guards were stationed at the entrance. She wasn't the only one who caught onto the change.

Scarus stopped abruptly once he saw the Peacekeepers, momentarily surprised. He debated whether or not to approach them and speak to them. Sera observed him quietly and eyed the stoic Peacekeepers so different from the arrogant Elite Guards. She didn't really know which one she preferred.

Sera had to clear her throat loudly to get Scarus' attention, refraining from touching him. She didn't like being near him, touch was out of the question. The guard jolted awake and masked his face. He roughly grabbed her by her arms and all but dragged her inside, much to her annoyance.

President Snow's assistants stood outside in the hall, waiting for her. When they saw her, they immediately led her past the imposing marble statues and the carved marble walls draped in jewel toned silks and satins and into the greenhouse garden which connected the President's private suite.

She was seated and they left silently but hurriedly as President Snow appeared. "Well?" He tiredly asked, taking a seat across from her. He didn't bother with any meaningless greetings, going straight into interrogating her.

Avoxes in white fluttered around like the pale white butterflies above her and set the table, serving some rose tea.

"I found Leora." Sera traced the smooth porcelain surface of the cup before her. "She...was for a lack of a better words, barely holding on."

The President narrowed his beady cold eyes on her, examining her appearance. He wouldn't be able to find a speck of dirt or blood on her with how hard she scrubbed it all away. He could only nod and take a sip of the warm tea. "Where was she?"

"In her apartment—everything was trashed, she had locked herself in her room and I think...if I was a little late, she might've done something...regrettable."

His jaws clenched yet his face was blank. She could easily tell he was not happy about the update. "How so?" He pressed her for more.

Of course, she'd be a complete fool if she gave him the answers he wanted. "I don't know, it's just my guess. I found some sleeping pills and I know it's not uncommon to take them but they were strong pills that I've only seen used on critical patients at the clinic."