Chapter 44: Person of Interest

Sera slumped into the plush sofa, cradling her pulsating head between her hands

Sera slumped into the plush sofa, cradling her pulsating head between her hands. The events of last night replayed in her mind like a broken record. Cashmere's sobs echoed through her apartment as she poured her heart out to Sera. When sleep did come to her, it was chased away by the memories of her and Finnick's last conversation. She'd finally told him the truth, giving him the closure he desperately wanted yet she felt so much emptier than before.

Sleep had been nothing but a distant memory for Sera. Exhaustion had seeped into her bones as she had dragged herself out of bed that morning with Cashmere disappearing at daybreak. She didn't know how she managed to do her rounds at the clinic or visit the orphanage in the afternoon.

Everything was a blur even her trip there at the Training Center. She'd admit to herself that she hadn't been the best mentor that year. Though if she were, to be honest, she wished she was anywhere but in the sitting room on the fifth floor of the Training Center.

The grand living room felt smaller than usual, suffocating her with the remnants of last night's drama. The late afternoon sun trickled in through the windows desperately trying to lighten up the mood as it collided with the crystal chandeliers, bathing Faline, Celsi, Sera, and Zephyr in an iridescent glow.

But even its golden rays failed to penetrate the gloom that filled the corners of the room. She felt nauseated yet she knew she had to do her duty as a mentor. After all, she barely even appeared at the Chariot Parade for the Opening Ceremony the night before her Charity Ball.

She always chose to avoid the Remake Center, it was her least favorite place to be in. The nauseating stench of dye, the whirring of the loom, and the loud chatter of the stylists made her head hurt; she felt suffocated.

For the game that year, she had to force herself to walk into the delicately designed metal compound and stand there for Faline. The girl in question didn't seem to care for Sera's presence, nodding along to whatever Sera had said. She was too busy observing her surroundings.

Ovid would appear every so often to check on Sera for no particular reason even though he wasn't Faline's stylist. Though, he and his fellow designer Mabel had jointly designed the parade outfits.

And if Sera had to be honest; District 5 had one of the ugliest outfits that year. But Ovid seemed proud of Faline's metallic dress and whatever Celsi wore. Like a peacock with its plume on display, Ovid strutted around the floor of the living room as Sera played the recap of the Chariot Parade that she had blacked out days ago.

Stopping in front of Sera, Ovid turned around, the cape of his azure coat nearly smacking Celsi in the face. "It's marvelous, my creation?" He said, gesturing proudly to the screen in the living while eying his former partner, Eos' reactions.

His former partner scoffed. "I see they ran out of fabric. A creative choice of using aluminum foil as a backup." She smiled sweetly and carried on. "Though I'm not sure how that fits into the theme of Five, considering Five is the district of 'Power' not..." She paused dramatically to look at the screen as the chariot for Five passed. "Kitchenware."