3 | apartments & bandages

listening to better man(TV) while i write this chapter. this is a new part to the story, goes more into depth about the breakup, why Ryu does what he does later in the story. hope you enjoy:)

new chapter created 3/31/2022

He smelled like street grime when he walked through the door that night. He was early. You wondered if he'd considered showering at the agency.

You wondered when he'd notice the cardboard boxes scattered around the apartment you shared.

For the first time in a while he made the effort to walk over to you at the kitchen island, on your laptop as you browsed the different apartment listings you knew you'd be able to move into at a moment's notice.

His eyes had caught on the screen, you'd noticed he lingered at your back when he'd moved his lips away from the crown of your head. Keys were thrown on the counter, shoes haphazardly shoved off at the front door.

"Why are you looking at apartments?" Apprehension.

"No reason. One of the girls at work asked me to help her look since she's moving soon." Kendo's idea for a lie.

"So the boxes are for your friend who's looking to move out of her apartment?" Doubt.

"No. Just getting rid of some stuff we don't need anymore." Think. Think. Think.

"You don't use the books anymore? I saw you reading one last week." He knows.

"I'm donating them. Getting a library card."

A pause.

"Are you moving out?"

You tensed. You didn't turn to face him, one hand braced his body on the counter. He was towering over you again, and his muscles looked like they could crush your head like a watermelon.

"Are you?" His voice had deepened, he sounded scary. You never liked this side of him, and you knew what was coming if you didn't act fast.

"I might be. I just don't know if us living together right now is a great option. We've only been together for a little over two-"

"You're fucking with me, right?"

He'd moved so your eyes met, blazing flames charring the green that his eyes held. Your heart fell into your stomach and the bubble of anxiety in your chest returned. The rock in your throat started to grow faster than your heart was racing.

"I just-"

"Just what? Huh? Explain to me why you want to move out. Go on."

His eyes poured into yours, devouring any ounce of confidence you had in this situation you were currently in. You were shrinking into yourself and you couldn't help it. He'd done this before.

This time was worse.

The sinking feeling got worse when he grabbed your arm and pulled you from the barstool. His grip was firm. Bruises would follow.

"Let go of me!" You ripped your arm away, stepping back from him and reeling into yourself.

His eyes were dark. You didn't know who he was in that moment.

He scared you.

"Why are you moving out?!" He almost screamed. Tears were in his eyes. He was acting.

"Because you don't love me, Ryu! And you haven't for a while." You choked out the words, half of them getting stuck in your throat.

"Yes I do! I have always loved you!" His hands were on your face, his hands gentle, the opposite of before.

"The late nights? No goodbyes anymore, no reason that you're staying late. There was nothing left for me to try and save, Ryu."