17 | recovery & coffee

edited 10/04/2022

Waking up in a hospital bed with another person was not comfortable. You could live to tell the tale, because your eyes opened to bright sunlight streaming through the cheap curtains that covered the windows on the wall adjacent to the wall of the bed.

Stirring and opening your eyes, you found Katsuki already awake, staring down at you through vermillion irises. You closed your eyes again to rub the sleep out of them, hearing the sliding door of the ICU open before you opened them again.

"Good morning, Bakugou. I'd like to get started, if that's alright." A large cat man said as he strode into the room, a couple of nurses behind him, all clad in a white coat down to the mid thighs.

Katsuki nodded, squeezing your side before pushing you out of the bed and kissing your cheek, watching as you left the room and left the ICU, assuming you went to grab breakfast or something. You yawned as you left the room, checking your half charged phone and seeing what felt like a thousand notifications from friends. 

The man you were learning to love wholeheartedly was about to go through a hell of a time to get back to his former self. His head was already aching from all the information the doctors had started to rattle off the second you'd left the room.

They were telling him that since Recovery Girl had helped him out so much he'd need much less physical therapy than initially thought, only six sessions over the next four days needed to get him back to 90% of what he'd been before his battle with Argo.

Katsuki sat up in the bed, wincing from the pain in his ribs that rippled throughout his entire torso, knocking the little breath that was in his lungs straight out. The nurse next to him handed him an oxygen mask, and he willingly let the young woman hold it to his face. He could tell she was newer to the medical field, he didn't want to scare her by telling her he didn't need it.

The pain in his ribs wouldn't subside for at least a few months, and he'd need to start wearing a specially made vest with his hero costume made by Hatsume that would protect his ribs. She was the only 'dumbass inventor' he trusted with his gear. It was thanks to her his gauntlets come to life when he was fifteen.

As the nurses at the foot of his bed helped him to stand, tears rolled from his eyes and he saw white, pain soaring through his veins and making him double over. The air was again kicked harshly out of his lungs and he struggled to get in a solid breath. It was only when he heard the doctor ask you to leave he'd realized you returned, a straight black coffee in your left hand for him and an iced in the right for yourself.

The fear you'd let in last night and shut out again this morning slammed back into your mind like a tidal wave, your feet not moving an inch as Katsuki groaned in pain. He was facing the windows and away from you, so you couldn't see his facial expression and he couldn't see you.

It felt like you were going to vomit, and not dropping the coffees in your hand was an easier task said than done. It took all of your strength to leave the room and sit outside in the chairs lining the hall. Katsuki had been moved out of the ICU and into a private room, doctors and nurses on call at all times in case his condition got worse again.

You sat in the khaki colored chair and tears streamed down your face. Knowing Katsuki had been in your exact position just days earlier when the reporters practically ambushed you made you feel like shit. It hurt like hell to see him in that state. You knew he was strong, but he was broken and battered after his battle with your ex.

Setting the coffees down on the side table next to you, you curled up into the seat, bringing your legs to your chest and set your cheek on your knees. As you let out a small sigh you felt your tears start to slow and your skin stayed damp.