4 | kids & ice cream

edited 04/06/2022

The kids had noticed you were off.

I mean, a breakup can do that to someone, even if they weren't completely in love anymore.

While usually you'd save your projects until they were napping, watching a movie, or for when you were home, you had been sitting at your desk with large printouts of butterflies all day, taking great care to color in the lines.

You were grateful for the other staff, because someone else had come in to help you out that day. Maybe this was the thing that threw the kids off, because you were usually able to take care of all of them and keep an eye on what they were all doing. None of them were troublemakers except on rare occasion.

"Miss Y/N?" Nagatsuki, a three year old whom you loved to death, asked as she pulled on the hem of your skirt that ended at you mid calf

"Hm?" You responded, finishing a line before turning to her and picking her up, putting her on your lap so she could see what you were doing.

She watched for a few minutes before her three year old senses came back to her and she was ready to bug you again.

"Are you sad?" She asked, shuffling in your lap so she was turned towards you, her small hands cupping your face, just like you did to every child in the room when they were sad.

You were completely baffled at the question. You damned Shinso in your head for creating such a perceptive child, you'd known him since you were both kids and right now you wanted to strangle the purple-headed man.

"Why do you ask that?" You say to her as you fixed the small purple ponytail on the top of her head, her wispies coming loose from her copious amounts of playing with some of the older kids.

"Because you're droopy." She says, her hands moving your face face and pulling your cheeks up with her fingers, trying her best to make you happy and get you to smile.

"Well, honey, it's hard to explain." You said, taking her slightly clammy hands from your cheeks and cupping them in your own. You kissed the crown of her head, your god niece's presence enough to send you into a spiral. You reminded yourself to text Shinso later that he owed you a drink whenever she got her quirk; she'd be more than a handful.

"You can talk to me about it." Said a deeper voice, looking up to see Bakugou leaning against the doorway as his own godchildren screamed in delight, almost knocking him over as they ran to hug him. 

You were lost for words, not expecting your stomach to erupt into a frenzy of butterflies that had just woken up from a ten year slumber. Swallowing, you tried to suppress the 

"Oh, hey. It's nothing, really. Just some personal stuff I have to deal with right now." You said, setting Nagatsuki down on the floor, watching her run over to Fumi, who was playing with some legos.

"Is it that shitty boyfriend of yours? He's been trashing your name all over the news during his interviews after villain attacks." Bakugou said as he motioned for Akemi and Kyauta to go play for a little longer. "Pompous asshole."

"He- What?" You asked as he took the seat across the desk to talk to you, pulling out your phone to Twitter.

You had to close the app and turn on your phone's do not disturb as soon as you saw your mentions. They were filled with hateful comments, and words that would have your mental health spiraling into a black hole.

"Fuck." You mumbled, your head falling into your hands as you closed your eyes.

"Shit, it must be bad." His eyes were on you, you could feel it.