15 | sleepless nights & icu rooms

edited 10/04/2022

You woke up around three in the morning, your cheek stuck to Kirishima's shirt as you opened your eyes, lifting your head and looking around.

Kirishima's head was tilted back on the back of the chair, his eyes closed and breathing steady. He obviously fallen asleep awhile ago, and you didn't feel like waking him. You assumed his wife and two daughters had left earlier, and looking at the waiting room, everyone else had been dead asleep for a while.

Except for Katsuki's mother.

She was sat at the chair near the window, opening to the streets below and sleeping city. A serene look was on her face, and her husband was sitting next to her.

It was striking to you how insanely similar Katsuki and his mother looked. You didn't mind it though, it was the same for you and your late father.

You shuffled around, and Mitsuki turned towards you, not noticing her gaze at first as you ran a hand through your hair. You'd realized you hadn't showered in two days, and your emotions hurdling back to you and slamming into your already battered heart like an arrow from a skilled archer.

The knot in your throat came again and you got up, leaving the room to see if Katsuki was awake, or if he'd gotten any better. You wiped your cheeks as the tears stained them once again as you walked the short distance to the ICU.

The doors didn't open because you didn't get close enough for the sensor to pick up that you were there, but through the sliding glass you saw your boyfriend. He was asleep, just like you'd been only days before, and the gravity of the situation hit you only then.

He was wired like a robot, a large tube coming out of his mouth to help him breathe. It was horrifying to see the strongest person you'd ever known look so vulnerable and weak. You  covered your mouth with a hand, and you felt an arm wrap around your shoulders.

"I know, honey. I know." You heard a gentle and feminine voice say, a sob once again racking your ribs. It hurt to cry at this point, there weren't any tears left.

You felt her fingers tangle into your hair, causing you to sob again. She ran her fingers through your hair until you'd calmed down, and you'd realized it was something Katsuki had done when you'd freaked out about burnt vodka sauce the first night he'd let you in the kitchen to help him cook.

"You know, he talks about you a lot." She said once the hiccuping subsided and you had been silent for a few minutes, sniffling here and there.

You pulled away slightly, and looked her in the eyes, yours puffy and blurry with tears. You were thoroughly confused since you'd only been officially dating a week.

"He..He does?" You asked, voice nasally and filled with confusion.

"He has for a couple of months now, honey. He says you're like the only star you're able to see, even when there's streetlights." She told you, brushing your hair from your face and making it look a little bit better than it had all day.

The star you can see, even when there's streetlights. 

You'd told him about your love for the night sky once. How when you travel far enough out from the city you're able to see every star imaginable, but your favorite was the one you're able to spot, in the middle of the streets or on the train, you can still see it. It always grounded you when you felt like the world was falling apart half of the time.

You looked back into the ICU room with eyes the size of saucers. He truly cared about you, and few people had done that in your life without trying to gain something from you and immediately leave as soon as they got what they wanted.