12 | sunsets & street fights

note: argo's quirk is kinda like froppy's, only he can turn into a praying mantis whenever he wants, and can be in human form too. enjoy the chapter!

edited 10/03/2022

The walk home was silent, your shoulders covered in Katsuki's jacket with your hand in his. He wanted to grab a cab but you had told him the night air was good for you. It wasn't bad outside tonight, and the cold air moved through your nose

You felt a squeeze radiate through your hand, and noticed Katsuki had his eyes on you and was slowing down. He stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and turned towards you, eyes slightly glassy.

"He.. uh, shit. He hit you didn't he." He said, more of a statement than a question.

Heroes were trained to learn the signs of stockholm syndrome and domestic abuse. Anxiety and keeping away from your former abuser were both sign of abuse, sadly, and as soon as Katsuki saw you pulling at your hair, he knew something was up.

"Kats-"

"Answer the question. Please." He said, his crimson eyes meeting your own in a fleeting moment, staying locked with your own and the desperation in his hitting you like a four ton semi.

His eyes pleaded with you. The fact that you now had to heal your gaping wounds instead of letting them stay open felt like too much to deal with. 

You stayed silent, the gravity of the situation not yet sinking into your skin. Your boyfriend, whom you'd barely been with for half a week, was asking about your only long term relationship since high school. He shouldn't have to bear the burden of your problems. He already had so much to deal with.

Katsuki wrapped his arms around you and felt his shirt become damp with tears you hadn't realized had been falling from your eyes. As his winter jacket covered your back, his calloused hands drew circles on it. His head rested on yours, and you felt his hold tighten around you.

On the night you watched the prettiest sunset you've ever seen, you sobbed in his arms in the middle of fourth street.

***

He walked you to your new apartment and understood that you might need the night alone. He asked if you needed anything or if you wanted to talk, to which you said no. He pulled you in for a hug and kissed the top of your head, leaving after he squeezed you once.

You stood in the doorway and watched him board the elevator, closing your apartment door behind you and sliding down to the floor with your back pressed against the cool wood. Pulling your legs into yourself, you rested your cheek on your knees and the tears started to flow again.

The apartment echoed almost every noise you made, including the inconceivable number of sniffles you let out. It was mostly unfurnished, the couch still in boxes after being delivered when you were still in a coma. 

You cried for around an hour, you think, before you wiped your sticky cheeks with the sleeve of Katsuki's jacket and pulled yourself off of the floor and grabbed a beer from your fridge, cracking it open and turning the TV on from your kitchen.

'ARGO AND DYNAMIGHT BATTLING IN THE STREETS'

The headline almost blew you over as if you were a dead tree in the middle of a hurricane, the reporter on the screen was commentating as if this were the UA Sports Festival.

With your beer almost getting crushed in your fingers from the death grip you had on the container, you stalked over to the couch and leaned over it, trying to make out the battle through the fuzzy camera feed.

The reporter had the two behind him, and you saw flashes of light, green and orange blazing behind the man. Your stomach sank, and you felt every possible emotion related to anger and sadness at the same time. 

It was overwhelming, and you knew it wouldn't be long before it was over.

Right?

You watched Ryu and Katsuki going head to head in an all out battle, and lining the streets were sidekicks and other heroes you recognized as Katsuki's. Ryu was now a former sidekick, and probably an outcast in the hero world after this.

Katsuki landed a hard hit after Argo sprang from the ground and into the air with praying mantis legs that suddenly appeared out of nowhere, Katsuki blasting himself into the air with a few blasts from his grenades that were on his arms.

He pushed his way through the air and slammed Ryu into the ground, watching as your ex quickly sprang up and counter attacked. Katsuki rammed into a building, leaving a gaping hole. He pulled himself up quickly and stood in the rubble, aiming his left grenade at Ryu and pulled. 

He reached for the trigger on his right arm and aimed, but not before Ryu bounced back from the ground and off of the third story of the building. He flew through the air with power and precision, slamming the number seven hero into the ground before he was able to get the big finale in.

The concrete broke under the force of the impact, and the TV camera started to pick up the conversation between the hero and the former future he thought he'd be able to create with Argo.

"What did you.." Katsuki coughed, the pressure mounting on his chest from the concrete and sidekick holding him down. The other heroes watched from the sidelines, but the look Katsuki gave them told them to stay back, that this was his fight. "..you do to her?" He asked, struggling to stay conscious with the building headache. He felt the blood trickling down his neck.

Ryu slammed him back down, keeping his arm pressed against his chest. A grunt left his chest, and a smirk appeared on Ryu's face. 

Katsuki wouldn't last long at this rate.

"I did what any reasonable boyfriend did with their whore girlfriends. I put her in her place." He said, leaning down to talk to Katsuki at eye level, a brand new fire being lit in Katsuki's eyes at the name he called you.

He didn't say anything back, he knew that's what fueled villain's fires most of the time, so he gathered all the strength in him and looked to Shoto, who was hiding in the shadows with a couple of his own sidekicks.

Dynamight needed help.