16 | waking up & quiet nights

edited 10/04/2022

A week had passed and you'd gone to back to work at the daycare. Updates from Mitsuki or Kirishima came in every other hour or so, and Katsuki had had another surgery in the last week because his lung had collapsed again.

Recovery Girl had advised the swelling in his brain had gone down enough to start waking him up today. Halloween had passed and you still gave candy out to kids at your apartment door like you usually did. It took your mind off of things for a little bit.

You went to visit him every day after work, talking to him about your day in as much detail as possible, trying to feel as if you were talking to him in your living room or something. There wasn't ever a response, it made you feel like you were talking to a wall. 

The kids at the daycare were all upset, they'd all been watching cartoons when a 'BREAKING NEWS' message had popped onto the screen, where they were practically forced to watch Katsuki get battered to pieces before a teacher had realized that the television had switched.

You'd told them that you would say hi to him every day for the kids when you went to visit him straight from work, and today was no different. You'd gotten the update from Mitsuki at two in the afternoon that he'd been completely weaned off of the medication that kept him in a coma, now it was just a waiting game.

There hadn't been anything since, and when the clock struck nine with still no notifications, you became worried. You didn't let it show, the second chapter of the second Harry Potter book was all that was able to fit in your mind. You were exhausted today.

Cuddled up with Ketsu and Nagastuki in your lap, you read until every kid was asleep, the only sound when you closed the book was soft snoring from Fuyumi and Raama. You'd started to fall asleep yourself when another daycare staff had walked in, startling you out of your sleep when she softly called your name.

"Your shift's over, honey. Go to the hospital or home and get some sleep, kay?" Said your best friend other than Kendo, Haruye. You'd met her when you'd moved out to Musutafu and started working at the daycare and the two of you had immediately clicked.

You nodded your head and handed Nagastuki to her and she'd stirred before settling again. Getting up, you dusted off your leggings and grabbed his jacket before heading out, giving a quick hug to Haruye before leaving the daycare.

The hospital was a short walk from the daycare, thankfully, and it was a few minutes before ten when you walked through the doors. Heading for the elevator you pushed the 'up' button and waited, watching as the number above the metal doors went down. You walked into the empty room and pushed '12', watching as the lobby of the hospital turned into two slabs of aluminum.

A sigh escaped your lips and you leaned against the wall of the elevator, closing your eyes. Katsuki had been taken off of the ventilator two days ago and was breathing on his own well. That's when the doctors had started to take him off of the coma medication in small doses, mixing it with saline instead of straight propofol like it had been the four days before that.

You took a step out of the elevator, and then another, looking up as you walked to find the waiting room empty. You assumed everyone had already gone home for the night, it was late after all. Walking into the ICU and giving a small smile to the night nurses you headed for Katsuki's room, seeing that he was still asleep.

Reaching the side of the hospital bed you ran a hand through Katsuki's hair and let your hand rest on the side of face, leaning down and pressing a ghost kiss to his lips like you usually did. You didn't expect him to kiss back.

But he did.

His arm reached up and took ahold of your waist, his lips pressing against your own for the first time in over a week. You choked on your own air, pulling away suddenly and opening your eyes to find his crimson ones full of the fire that they usually were.

"You.. you're awake." You said breathlessly, staring at him as he chuckled.

"I've been awake for a few hours, sweetheart." He said, letting you sit next to him as he readjusted, wincing as he sat up in the bed. His voice was hoarse, and his hair was spikier than it was the day before. 

Taking his face in your hands you pressed a kiss to his forehead, and he nuzzled his head into the space between your shoulder and neck. You felt a few kisses along your collarbone and giggled, his lips tickling your skin.

"I was worried, y'know." You said, feeling Katsuki lift his head from your shoulder and look you straight in the eyes.

He brushed your bangs from your face and tucked the stray hair behind your ear, his blazing red eyes locking with yours as you looked back up to his face, absentmindedly running a thumb over the scar on his cheek when your hand reached up to cup his jaw.

"I'm sorry." He whispered, putting your foreheads together and his breath ghosting over your lips.  A stray tear ran down your face, you realized when Katsuki kissed it away after holding the back of your head gently with his calloused hand.

You buried your face into his shoulder and kissed him a thousand times over, making sure not to leave any marks in your wake. Your lips traveled back up his face and to his lips, leaving them lingering for a while before you pulled back.

Taking in your boyfriend's moonlit expression that held your eyes to his own, you pressed your lips to his once again and a long overdue makeout session began, longing taking over instead of lust.

You felt every emotion Katsuki wanted to convey to you between his lips, no words needing to be spoken as his lips traveled down your jaw and to the sweet spot below your ear, trying to entice a noise or two from you.

You wouldn't allow it though, you two were in a hospital, for Christ's sake, and you didn't think the night nurses wanted to hear anything of the sort. Short breaths did escape your lungs however, feeling Katsuki's lips turn up into a smirk against your neck, he knew how to get you hot and bothered.

His hands traveled down to your hips and underneath your shirt, his warm hands on your sides causing tingles up and down your spine. You sucked in another breath when his fingers went underneath the strap that held your bra to your skin, his hands now unclasping the bra with ease.

He crashed his lips into yours once again when his thumbs found the points of weakness on your chest, enticing a strangled moan from you as he pinched.

Pulling away reluctantly, scarlet hues met yours.

"God, you just woke up and you're horny as hell." You giggled, letting him know that the kisses were appreciated, but not allowed. He feigned ignorance, scoffing before finding the ends of your bra and putting them back together around your torso, letting you adjust it slightly before he pulled your head onto his shoulder.

He chuckled and wrapped an arm around your waist, pressing  a kiss to the crown of your head. You smiled as you nuzzled your face into his shoulder and sighed.

It felt like it had stopped raining in Seattle, a rainbow had appeared.