BLISSFUL IFTAR

5

Day 2, Ramadan

"Thank you sir, shukran'lakh." Safeenah thanked as Prince Abubakar held her tightly and threw her on his chest. "What's your name? " Safeenah questioned, sniffing his musky fragrance.

"I am A-" Abubakar was cut short by impatient Safeenah,  "Ali? "

"Yeah, I am Ali." Prince Abubakar lied.
"Why are you here alone? Where is your mother?" Prince Abubakar added as they started walking around the iftar point, Safeenah held his baby-soft thumb.

"My mother is working, I don't want to disturb her. I am on a secret mission." Safeenah whispered with a grin,

"What's your mission?"

"I wanna kick prince Abubakar so hard on his leg." Safeenah said in whisper.

"Wow, thank Allah I am not the prince." Prince Abubakar sighed with a smile.

Twelve hours later, the sun was setting on it's horizon, Zarah came out with a bright smile. She walked weakly to the blue Tesla-her smiled turned upside down as she saw Dale's worried face.

"Where is my angel? " She asked, worriedly. "She was right beside me, but I was carried away. I looked for her everywhere but the search was hopeless; don't worry I'll announce it." Dale wipe away sweat dripping from his head.

"You had only one job, look after my daughter. But you failed, you are just useless, you lost my her."

Zarah went ballistics as she walked away angrily towards the iftar point, shouting her daughter's name.

"Salaam sir, have seen my daughter?" Zarah said as she showed a working man the picture of Safeenah.

"I haven't seen her. I'm sorry?"  He replied politely with a bright smile, Zarah thanked the man and the man carried his basket of blueberries towards the fruit hole.

Zarah sat down on a black plastic chair, devastated. Suddenly she saw a lady, the lady was in haste.

"Salaam Miss, have you seen my daughter?"

"Go away from me, did I steal your daughter? " The woman said as she pushed Zarah down.

Zarah sat on the pavement she landed on. She started crying, She was so worried. "Oh Allah, help me. I don't want to be the bad parent." Zarah swallowed her saliva as her throat constricted.

•••••••

The garden was filled with flowers. The fragrance the garden emitted is amazing. A big baobab tree was planted in the center radius of the garden, monkey swinging from it branches. Many colorful butterfly flutters around the perfect garden.

"My Ummi is the best in the world, she loves me so much and cherishes me." Safeenah complemented Zarah. The Adhan was called.

Adhan is the call for prayer.

"It's time for iftar." Prince Abubakar stand up and dust away dirt from his sparkling robe.

"I am sorry for wasting your time uncle Ali, your master will be searching for you." Safeenah apologized. Mistaking Abubakar for a slave.

"No you didn't waste my time. Always be careful, if you need anything, tell me. I'll be there for you-have these." Prince Abubakar said as he brought out two fresh strawberries.

"My Ummi said it's bad to accept things from strangers,"

"Am I one? I'm your friend, right? friends?" Prince Abubakar asked and Safeenah nodded meekly.

"I'll take my leave now." Prince Abubakar waved her good bye.

Safeenah played with the animals, she cut a big beautiful rose for her mother. She came out of the garden walking towards the iftar point. She was searching for her mother, she knew she was tardy; her mother would be so worried now—she clenched her fist against the two strawberries she was holding.

She saw her mother crying on the pavement. She jumped and hugged her. "Oh angel, I'll never let you out of my sight again."

"But mum, I am not lost. I am six for God sake. I met a new friend, he helped me." Safeenah explained. "This is for you Ummi." She added as she handed to her mother the rose she took from the royal green house.

"Did you enter the royal green house?"

"Yeah, my friend took me there, it was like a mini zoo."

"Who is your friend, all these could land us in trouble." Zarah said dramatically before crushing the poor rose—she forgot roses had thorns and it pricked her finger badly.

"Mum. Are you okay?" Safeenah askef as she cleaned her mother's wound with the edge of her cloth.  "Have you had iftar?" Safeenah asked.

"Nope, but now I have; you are my iftar." Zarah replied, ironically.

"Silly, mum. Take this." Safeenah said as she handed her mother a strawberry, while she eats hers.

"Where did you get that, did you steal it?" Zarah frowned at her,

"No, uncle Ali gave it to me, he is kind. He is as kind as uncle Dale."

"Next time don't take things from strangers! " Zarah warned as she ate the strawberry due to the fact she was hungry.

"I am famished, let's go meet uncle Dale." Safeenah yawned as she covered her mouth with her tiny palms.

"He's gone, we will go home on our own, let's get a cab." Zarah said and she stands up. She held Safeenah and they walked away.

In room 36, Zarah slept off on her mat. A plate of chicken biryani was next to her. The alarm goes off— Safeenah woke up, she walked near Zarah. She's still snoring like a yeti. "Mum wake up!" She yelled.

Zarah woke up, she checked the alarm clock, the time was 7:00 am; she was late again. But fortunately this time she ate the Sahoor meal.

Safeenah picked up the leftover chicken, she ate it because she wasn't fasting today.

"Sweetheart it's not healthy to eat without brushing, your teeth have gotten germs in them!" Zarah lectured as she was tidying up.

The door bell rang, Safeenah rushed to the door and opened it, Dale was standing at the entrance,

"Uncle Dale, come in!" Safeenah ushered,

"No dear, where is your mum? If she is out, tell her I'll be waiting at the gate." Dale rejected and she walked back into the room. Safeenah was speechless and confused, her six years old brain couldn't interpret that.

After twenty minutes Zarah walked out, she locked Safeenah in the hotel room. Safeenah seems to like it because she didn't retrograde.

Zarah walked to the blue Tesla, she entered the car and Dale drove off without saying a word. They arrived at the palace, without saying anything. Dale pulled over and opened the door.

"Have a nice day Dale!" Zarah called out, but Dale ignored her and drove off. what wrong with him? Zarah thought to her self.

"Ms. Zarah you're late again." Uthman said with a smile at her for the first time.

"I am so sorry?" Zarah said, feeling abashed.

"Let's go to the Prince, the French  men are here." Uthman said nicely. Why was he not scolding her? Zarah followed him to the gazebo.

Author's note

Why did Abubakar lied about his identity? Is he trying to hide something or did he knew Safeenah was Zarah's daughter.

I can't believe Zarah could just yell at Dale like that, I think that was why he is behaving strangely. Uthman is being super nice today, it's also weird.

Comment down your opinions to the following questions.