MEMORIES THAT HURTS

15

*Flashback

"She is a nobody, a bloody loser, what do you think you'll get if you study French." A teenage guy, probably eighteen said to a girl also in her teenage—young Zarah glued her head on the desk as she wallow in excruciating pain.

"Let's go brother, she is not worth your love." The same guy adds.

"I love you Zarah, just look at me. I forgive you for insulting me at the gym yesterday, just be my girlfriend— I have a big future for you, my parents are rich, they'll send you to a better college. You won't have to worry about scholarships." Young Uthman said,

"Uthman I can't be your girlfriend; I'll love you in your dreams. You are self delusional, you are arrogant, you are proud, you'll make the worst husband!" Zarah shot back in a shaky voice.

"Let's go bro, she still think she is a prom queen, or something!" The guy said.

"Let me tell you the fact, you don't have a future with Yusuf!" Uthman concluded and walked out of the classroom.

A guy with gray hairs walked inside the classroom in a fast motion. He wore a nerdy spectacles on his barely opened eyes. His white skin can easily make people conclude he was from Asia. "Zarah, I am so sorry I came late. Forgive me, I wasn't there to fight for you." He said.

Young Zarah raised her head up. "Yusuf, I am so scared I thought I'll die!" Zarah whined. "—Do you think I don't have a future if I study French, I know with my grades I should be planning on studying robotics, but I don't want that." Zarah added in tears.
"Zarah, I believe you'll make it and I'll be by your side when you do, my love. I will never stop loving you!" Yusuf assured.

"I can't believe that; why don't you marry me!" Zarah blurted out.

"But Zarah you're just sixteen, we aren't stable!" Yusuf exclaimed in horror. Probably scared of young marriage. Based on Islamic rules; if sixteen-year-old Zarah get married at such young age, it's not a sin and it's even considered best if she do—to avoid illicit relationships.

"Uthman was right, we don't have a future together!" Zarah said as she bit her lower lips to prevent her from crying out but her whimpers were still audible.

"Zarah will you marry me?" Yusuf asked as he was on his knee already. Young Zarah jumped in joy.

"Yes!"

*Flashback

Young Zarah walked inside the house— the house was so dark, the atmosphere was cold. She hung her backpack and coat on the coat rack at the foyer. "Ummi?" she called but there was no response, she walked down to her ummi's room and she opened the door. There she found her ummi laying on the bed, emotionless.

"Ummi wake up, I have been accepted. I will study French!" Zarah said, but her mother just stared emotionless at the ceiling, her eyes wide open.

"Ummi?" Zarah said in an anxious manner as she walked closely to her and noticed her face was pale as white sheet—her body shuddered, adrenaline coursed through her vain as her neck hair stood up. She knew what happened but don't wants to believe it.