BONUS CHAPTER: THE FAMILY VACATION I

~ Safeenah Abubakar ~

Ping!

My phone chimed on the bed and it was accompanied with a hellish vibration which shook the thick duvet that was covering my bed. I quickly jumped off my praying rug to check what the notification was all about, praying for the gazillion time not to be an amber alert. Approaching the phone, I muttered a short and simple prayer to Allah, before checking the notification bubble that was floating on my screen. And alas, my prayer was answered to. The message was Dawood Al-Kim — we had exchanged our numbers the other day.

But he never messaged me since then, I tried searching his name on Instagram but I couldn't find any trace of him online. It was like I dreamt of him that day. The message I saw assured me he was a real — human with flesh and bone.

Dawood Oopa 😘: Heya. I'm sorry for not contacting you earlier. My phone was confiscated due to some business deal my dad struck.

However, how've you been?
Ps: I can't wait to meet you in school, ❣️

My heart danced at the message as I read with heavy heart. All I could think about was him, the way he mix his Korean accent with a slight of Arabic when he's speaking English. His tenderness and the way he speaks like words were actual eggs which could be shattered if said in the wrong manner.

I fell on the bed, sinking inside the soft foam and staring deep into my ceiling. All I could think of was school — I couldn't wait for it to be in session so I could steal glances at the love of my life. Dawood Al-Kim was the first potential boyfriend I have ever had.

"There's a letter!" Rayhan barged inside my room, announcing his arrival with a throw-pillow that flew in the air and smacked right into my face.

"Rayhan?" I whined, hissing at the sharp pain he'd caused to my face and most importantly my heart. "What letter?" I inquired, "from Grandpa?" I added. Fazza always write us (me and Rayhan) a special letter anytime there's a royal ball or some sheik from other places are celebrating their birthdays. And he also wrote to us on our birthdays — he is a very busy king, who still have to rule even when his son had come of age centuries ago.

Okay, I was exaggerating — my father isn't that old, he is thirty-something-ish.

"Yeah. From him." With his small butts, he sat on my bed. Instantaneously I pushed him off my bed. "Why'd you do that?" He complained, furrowing his thick eyebrows.

I led out a very annoying laughter, "your eyebrows are funny when you're angry." After I had laughed at my stepbrother I pulled a serious face, "lemme have the letter, yalla." I extended my arm for the letter to be dropped on my palm.

As expected, he tore the letter open — unraveling the meticulously positioned letter inside the brown envelope. "Wow... Fazza is the best in letter packaging."

Rayhan sucked his teeth rhythmically and sighed. "Something he had his Personal Assistant did, Fazza has no time to write to us. Just believe your little brother for once."

"Such a killjoy." I snatched the paper from him, careful enough not to shred it. I gently unfolded the immaculately folded paper and right in front of my eyes was the mesmerizing handwriting I copied everytime I had to write a term paper at school. Fazza's handwriting was one of a kind, it looks like Arabic and yet it's English.

Dear My Beloved Grandchildren,

I hope this letter finds you in the best of health and happiness. As I sit here, memories of our time together warm my heart, and I find myself yearning for more moments filled with joy and laughter.

I have a proposition that I believe will create lasting memories for all of us. How about embarking on a grand adventure to Korea? I'm sure you would have seen my business associate son: he is going to Korea to spend the week and I want you two to go with him. The beauty of Korea landscapes, the richness of its culture, and the warmth of its people make it an ideal destination for a impromptu vacation.

Imagine strolling through vibrant markets, savoring delicious Korean cuisine, and exploring ancient tombs.

I spoke to your parents and they think it's a great opportunity for you two to rekindle and make-up.

I'm sorry I couldn't bring the great news in person.

Ps: your grandma said hi.

With love,
Grandpa Fazza (your fave)

I read the letter Fazza had sent and tears had gathered in my eyes. I couldn't believe I'll get the chance to hangout with Dawood before school resumes. It was as if Fazza read my mind and knew what I really wanted — or my prayers went straight to Allah and He answered it right away.

"Imagine me and you walking down the street of Seoul and visiting Jeju island — wow, that's the life." I squealed that last part.

"You're such a liar. You're all worked up because Dawood Al-Kim is going too: I'll convince Fazza to change the vacation spot to Paris. I don't like Korea anyways." Rayhan said nonchalantly.

I died and at the same time was resurrected again. "You didn't just say that," I gasped, throwing my pillow at his face and like a nitwit he positioned his face like a target and the pillow smashed into his nose.

"What'd you do that for?" He inquired, stopping the blood from gushing out of his nose.

I forgot his nosebleeds again.

"You're a lunatic. Don't kill me, we are going to Korea." He stood up angrily and walked out of the room, he came to an halt at the doorstep, facing me he whispered, "imbecile." And with he smug look on his face he dashed away before I could get hold of him.

I wasn't planning to scold him. He had called me names worst than lunatic. The only thing I could think of was my vacation with my Oopa. His face was all I could see, even as I open my suitcase. I couldn't wait for the vacation — everything will go well InshaAllah.