xxiii. unwanted revealations

________

________

To say that Eleanora was nervous was an understatement. Today was the family dinner with the Salvatore's, Forbes, and other close family members. Everyone was going to be there, and she hoped no one would realise that Nate and she had broken up.

Eleanora was already dressed up. She wore a pair of black denim jeans with a belt attached to them. She paired that with a white long-sleeved shirt and a pair of hooped earrings. Her hair was tied in a messy ponytail with her curtain bangs falling out since they were short.

She took a deep breath and pushed the nerves away and made her way downstairs.

________

Eleanora arrived at the Salvatore house, Damon Salvatore's house to be specific for the dinner. She noticed everyone was already there. Including Kol and Davina which was surprising because they are always late because of Kol.

She plastered a smile on her face as she caught up with everyone. She noticed Nate. He was sitting on a couch next to Evelyn with a nonchalant expression. He was partially paying attention to the conversation because of Lizzie and Evelyn but was distracted. Eleanora looked around for a spare seat and found Atlas sitting on the couch alone.

Eleanora decided to sit beside Atlas. He looked up from his phone and noticed that Eleanora sat beside him. He understood that tonight there will be a lot of tension and awkwardness, plus there may be drama.

"How you feeling?" Atlas asked.

"Tired." Eleanora replied as she closed her eyes for a moment.

Atlas and Eleanora conversed with each other as they goofed around. Eleanora let loose and even forgot about the tension. Atlas did everything to make her laugh and stop stressing which seemed to work.

Nate sat on another side of the living room on a couch. He noticed Eleanora the moment she walked in and how she sat down next to Atlas. The way she was laughing as nothing happened a few nights ago. She looked like she was free and happy. Maybe it was better off being broken up. But still, he couldn't help but feel jealous.

His jaw clenched as he stared at Atlas and Eleanora. He knew that there were friends but there was that 'what if'. What if they were more? That question wandered around his mind the whole time.

________

It was dinner time, and everyone was seated at the dinner table. Eleanora sat in between Atlas and Josie with Stephanie across from her and Nate on her right. He was close to her. This was the closest they had been since the break-up.

Eleanora gulped as she stared at him. Not that she was afraid or anything. It was because the whole situation was different. Usually, they'd sit next to each other, and they were always touching. Whether it was his hand holding hers or their legs touching, their touch to each other brought a sense of comfort and relief.