𝐏𝗼𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝗼𝐧 ✵ 𝐓𝗼𝐣𝐢 𝐅𝐮𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐮𝐫𝗼

Warning/Disclaimer: death + angst

Words count: 0.5k

•••

In the end, what remains of us is our possessions. That's why Y/N spend her life accumulating them. She did everything she could to collect the world. To always satisfy, no matter the price, in order to keep her possessions. That way, when she died, there'd be people talking about her — for her.

"Are you satisfied?"

He hated that philosophy of life. He even resented it. It was because of that bullshit that he lost the only person he ever wanted to possess.

"I guess..."

Under her futon, Y/N passed a hand over the wounds that deformed her body. She couldn't survive that mission, she knew that, she knew it even before accepting it, but she was asked for. They expected a lot from her, so she accepted it.

And now, here she was, in the middle of her room, alone with death waiting patiently in a corner.

"I don't get you."

Though, there was someone else. The only item in her collection who had bothered to check on her deathbed. Sitting in the opposite corner, legs spread apart and head down to let his hair surround him with the darkness he felt his heart being filled with, Toji didn't allow himself to approach her.

"What did you get out of it? Nobody gives a shit about us. Why do you keep obeying them?" His fists clenched, "You don't need them... We don't need them."

Y/N didn't answer.

What was there to say? To admit a stupid hope that her possessions would evoke a life less pitiful than the one she had lived? There was nothing to say when it was only with her last breaths of oxygen that she finally realized the waste that was her sole opportunity in life.

"I don't want to die..."

Her sobs brought the man out of his gloaming. He hesitated for a long time but he ended up joining her in the middle of the room. Seeing her in this state was impossible to bear, so he stared at her eyes, the sobbing in her poor eyes.

"I'm afraid, Toji..." Her words were mixed with her despair creating such a fragile sound that it forced Toji to lean down to perceive it.

With his index finger, he dried her tears before tracing the face of his beloved. His gestures were so delicate, he himself did not recognize them. But what surprised them both was the trembling of that finger against her skin.

"Toji?"

A tear. This was what the man allowed himself, or perhaps this is what the man couldn't contain. The droplet fell directly on her cheek. He stared at it, approached his finger, stroked around before drying it.

He had turned heaven and earth, but nothing. Nothing could keep away the inevitable. Condemned, he couldn't hear that word anymore.

Condemned, alone with her possessions.

Toji got up. Without one last look, he opened the door, unable to attend it. He had sensed movement from the corner of the room.

She too had felt it. Death was done waiting.

"Save me a seat right next to you"

Smiling, alone with her possession.

"I will"