Chapter 23

EZRA

When driving around, I'm trying not to think about my nerves racing through to my brain to the core; tonight is the night, Rachel's and I date, but that's even if she's coming or not hasn't figured out whose has been sending bundles of sunflowers to her.

*Ring Ring*

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hi son," my mom responds.

*On the other line*

Andrea walks into her office with loads of paperwork in her hands, after three business meetings since 6 in the morning to discuss which books to publish. Every year our company does a party for the book launch when a book is published in the next two months.

*Back to Ezra*

As I turn the corner of a highway to the mall, I eye my rolls as hearing my mom asking me the same question she asks every year to publish my stuff, but I don't buy it. It's too personal that nobody reads it or knows about it besides me, "I need to borrow the limousine tonight. I'm begging, and I don't beg," I as politely. I hope to have it for Rachel and me; she deserves to be treated like a movie star or a princess.

*To Andrea*

She presses the speaker button and rolls her eyes, thinking about the last time he reused the limo.

"I'm sorry. You cant use it, I have to use it for a meeting and since you trashed it from your last party, it still has you know what still stained on the ceiling from the last time," Mom barked out.

I roll my eyes that she's still pissed, "Yes. I'll bring it back in good condition," I beg. I can hear her signing, "Fine. Just bring it back," she demands, and I nod when hanging up. As I pull up to a barbershop, I see an older man sitting down on the waiting chair by the chair; I take the last seat next to a little kid playing with his monster trucks and making noises.

" Do you like trucks?" the little boy asks, rolling the truck down on my leg like a road. Curse my long legs. I tell him, "Umm... sure," I turn my head to him.

The kid continues playing with his trucks on his chair until a lady comes to us, "Leo?" she says with a smile, " Yeah?" Leo asks without looking up and continues playing. The lady looks at me, then back at him, "I'm ready for you." He nods, jumps off of his chair, and follows her but turns to me, "Can you hold on my trucks?" he asks me, holding out his toys. He has to be like seven.

"Please? I don't want to lose them," Leo begs with his brown eyes doing the begging like little kids usually do. I sign, take the trucks and put it in his seat, "Thank you." Moments later, a man taps on my shoulder as I scroll through my phone; I look up, "What?" I utter out.

"I can take you," he says when going back to his section; I follow him with the kid's toys in my hand and sit down. The old man gets his stuff ready, "I saw you talking to Leo," he says as I have his toys, and he talks to me as he placed a cloth over me.

I arched my eyebrow at what he was talking about, then glanced at the toy trucks, " Yeah, he's okay." I tell him, and he shrugs my shoulders. The man starts trimming the top of my hair, "How do you know the kid? Is it yours?" I wonder if that's his kid who's coming back from school. The old man takes a can of hair gel and starts messing up my hair a little, "You didn't hear this from me but his life is not good.." he signs, "His bastard father who just drops him off when not wanting to deal with him but he's a good kid." he confuses when taking the cloth off of me and wipes the gel off of his hands with a towel.

...

A while later, I go to a tux shop to buy one since I don't own one because they are downright uncomfortable, and I look like a fucking and ridiculous penguin when wearing one. As I find one, I keep thinking about the little kid who was dumped there like trash; it's like my own childhood since I was home alone a lot. I walk in, see a bunch of suits from every style and color, " Hello sir. What can I help you with?" a man comes up to me, "I need a suit by tonight," I demand as I wave my credit card in front of his face and he goes to behind the desk, pulls out a measuring tape.

"Do you know your measuring? If not, I can measure you," he asks.

...

A while later, once I'm done talking to the man about measuring and whatever fucking else, I step in front of the multiple mirrors in every angel wearing a navy blue suit. Then the man comes behind me, I annoy him when buttoning the jacket, but he keeps weirdly smiling at me, "What do you want?" I snap.

"Is there anything you need?" he asks, goes to the other dressing rooms to clean out. I straighten my jacket, then I hang my phone ring through my coat, and see it's my mom. She's probably calling about tomorrow.

*Ring Ring*

"What?" I snap.

"Hi to you too, son. I was just wondering if you got something for Skylar?" she asks in a worried tone. I scratch the back of my neck. Damn, this gel is sticky and itchy, but when she mentioned Skylar, I can feel my heart being ripped out of my chest from thinking about it, but I turn back to reality as soon the man comes back with stacks of clothing with him.

"Umm... I will take this one, and do you happen to have classic black and white tux. I need it by tonight," I wonder since I always wear something for her. Especially for Skylar, Rachel will be the second girl I would be dressing up as a penguin for, but it's worth it.

The man nods, then I hear a voice and notice my mom yelling through the phone. Shit! "Sorry, I forgot that I had you. I was getting something," I apologize, walking back to my dressing room to change out of this clothing to finally get out of here.

...

Hours later, once I have everything settled and planned perfectly for our date, I get dressed and start driving with sunflowers beside me.