Chapter 32

RACHEL

As Andrea and I watch Ezra drive away with sorrow and anger that he's carrying on his back by himself. I look over to Andrea, who wipes her tear with her sweater sleeve, so I hold out my hand for comfort during this difficult time, but she takes it; I nod as I pull her for a hug.

"Shh, it's okay. You will be okay, I promise you." I repeatedly tell her, she smiles and grabs a small packet of tissues, "Thank you for being here. I should get home and see if he's there," she says when walking away.

"Andrea?" I chase after her, and she turns around, "How I drive you to your house? You have been though too much today," I ask her. The last thing I want is her driving with her sobbing eyes out until she can't see anything especially driving and having Ezra losing someone else leaving his life but on the other hand; I won't blame her since she just said goodbye to her daughter and watch her son driving away, it's incredible she has done in life from running her company with so much in the past.

"That would be nice for you, but how you get home?" she asks as we walk towards her little blue car; it reminds me that my dad drove when I was little. God, I miss him so much and my mom too, but luckily fall break is coming soon.

I wave my hand, "Don't worry about me, I can just call an Uber," I demand. She smiles at me, and I give back.

...

A moment later, Andrea and I talk about work and life in general while driving back to her house; she mentions the trip to Colorado since she's building a new company there to expand it.

"Why is it in Colorado?" I ask as she points at her house, "Because the company fall though in Utah so we had to move to Colorado," she explains when grabbing her things, "You are more than welcome, so is Ezra but I doubt he will go," she says.

" Why he wouldn't go?" I ask as getting out as well and ready to call a Uber.

She shrugs her shoulders, " Look Rachel, I love my son very much but he blames himself for so many things and I think the move will be good for him but I know he won't do it," she says with a doubtful tone.

After she goes inside the house, I dial the uber number; I wait outside, but I slowly regret it since it's the end of September, and the wind keeps hitting my body with chills that feel like ice. A black car pulls up, rolls down the window, "Hello ma'am, you called for a Uber?" the driver asks, I look up from my phone to see the asshole driver who drove me to the school, but I swallow my pride, "Umm, yes," I sign and get in before I regret.

...

Once it's been a moment of silence in the car, I'm holding my breath from the driver smelling like a chimney, all smokey and dirty with stains on his hands. I hear my phone ring in my purse, grab it, and it's Henry from my office.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hello Rachel, how are you doing?" he asks so politely.

*On the other line*

Henry sets the phone on speaker while taking off his suit jacket, gooseneck his tie, and returning to his work, "Henry?" Rachel calls out.

*Back to the other*

"Sorry, what did you say?" he asks.