02: Violence Was Part Of Them

CHAPTER TWO.

As soon as he received the text from Jeno, Jaemin sprinted to the cafeteria right after his class ended.

Entering the cafe, his eyes wandered across the spacious area and saw Mark waving his hand. In no time, he marched towards their table. "Ji," he panted from running to another building. "Are you okay?"

Jihyuck lifted her head. Her brows furrowed. "As you can see, I'm alive and fine, Jaemin," she replied lazily.

"Why the hell are you guys here?" Jihyuck folded her arms on her chest.

Jungwoo bit his lips, suppressing the urge to hug her. "Yesterday, you know. Well—someone posted a video of you fighting."

"And what about it?" Jihyuck raised her brows. Her voice was steady but her heart definitely wasn't.

"Are you okay?" Doyoung queried hesitantly.

Jihyuck dropped her chopsticks. She ran her hands through his face before lifting her head. "What am I? A teenager? I can handle this on my own," she rolled her eyes at their overreaction.

Mark silently drew his eyes and met Jeno's gazes. Without muttering any words, they could read each other's feelings. Jeno's sharp features were clouded with worries for his twin while Mark's eyes gleamed with pity.

"Jihyuck," Doyoung clasped his hands together.

Jihyuck gulped.

Doyoung's heart was aching to tell her the truth. He glanced at Jungwoo and he nodded, assuring that it will be fine. Doyoung brought his gazes back to the younger girl. "The higher-ups asked me to withdraw your appointment if you don't clear your name and—school's name in two weeks." 

"W-what?" Jihyuck gripped the hem of her grey sweater.

"I'm sorry, Ji. I can't really do anything," Doyoung looked at her with a heavy heart.

Think straight, she thought. Growing up, there was no room or time for her to be incompetent. As much as she despised her father, he found herself seeking his validation more than everything. She can't lose anything in school, she needed to prove to her father that she could excel in everything—even without his help.

"What can I do to clear my name?" Jihyuck broke the silence.

Doyoung and Jungwoo exchanged hesitant glances. Jihyuck sighed. "Tell me. I'll do it. I'll do everything to protect my position."

Jungwoo bit his lips. He turned to face Jihyuck. "I know this sounds ridiculous to you. But..." he trailed off. "You might need Donghyuck's help."

"Jungwoo, you should've kept that ridiculous idea to yourself. Ain't no way Jihyuck would work with him," Mark chortled, waving his hands in the air dismissively. 

"Next suggestion, please," Jeno shook his head.

"She'd do it," Jaemin whispered, audible enough to reach Jeno's ears.

"I'll do it."

Everyone snapped their heads towards Jihyuck with dilated pupils. Jeno particularly almost fell from his chair. He turned to look at Jaemin. "You did not just predict the future," he covered his mouth in terror.

Jaemin raised his brows multiple times. "I know Ji damn well," he shrugged his shoulders.

"Ji," Mark narrowed his eyes. "Are you high on drugs?"

Jihyuck nudged his rib with her elbow. "Shut up, Mark Lee." She brought her gazes back to Doyoung and Jungwoo. With an unwilling heart, she forced a smile that came out very genuine. "What can I do?"