20: Broke Me Into Pieces

CHAPTER TWENTY.

Sat in front of his study table but only his body was there. His mind flew somewhere else.

"The world is kind, Donghyuck. Even if you're a bad person, there must be someone who will be on your side, to listen to your story."

"Be careful."

Not to forget, she saw him yesterday—when he was in the state he wished anyone would never have to see him in.

He felt her hand stroking his shoulder gently. She didn't ask anything. Yet, her presence was beyond consoling. Can a man feel safe in a woman's arms? Because he felt so.

He pulled away as he saw the bus coming from the other way. "Your bus," he said awkwardly.

One of her brows lifted. "You're not getting on it?"

He slowly shook his head. "I don't want to meet people for now," he told, almost incoherent.

"What about me?"

"You?"

"Are you okay with me staying with you?" she rephrased nonchalantly. The tone of her voice was unusual to his ears. It was soft and gentle.

He didn't know what to reply.

"I'll stay with you."

"Huh?"

"I don't accept any complaint."

So, she stayed there, accompanying him until the rain slowly stopped. They didn't talk much. Only changed a few dialogues and they sat back, letting comfortable silence engulf them.

He threw his head back, ruffling his hair in annoyance. "Get her out of your damn mind!" he groaned. "She only accompanied you because you looked pathetic."

"Who?"

Donghyuck almost fell off his chair when Jaemin interfered without a single knock or introduction. Snapping his head at him, he frowned. "Bro, fucking knock or something."

The boy casually leaned toward the door frame while he crossed his arms on his chest. "Cant get Ji out of your mind now, huh?" he smirked.

Panic surged through him. "Who said it was Jihyuck?"

"Is it not?" Jaemin teased.

"No."

"But she was the one who stayed with you last night?" he threw the bait and as expected, his best friend bit on it. "You are thinking of her," a victorious smile occupied his lips.

"Shut up, Jaemin," he clicked his tongue, irritated. "How did you know about that though?" he questioned in suspicion.

"Well, she texted me yesterday."

He huffed. "I knew it. She must be making fun of me for it."

Jaemin's brows knitted. "Can you not think of her badly for once? She literally asked me if you safely reached home and told me to check up on you," he told. He rolled his eyes, recalling their conversation yesterday. "Bro, she even scolded me and told me to be a better friend."