03: It's Not Your Fault

CHAPTER THREE.

Fortunately, the school cafe was not as packed today since most of the students went to watch an ongoing soccer match. The tranquility in the cafe helped Jihyuck remain sane—at least until they found a lead to work on.

Back to square one, Donghyuck told her they needed to list down some possible suspects but for unknown reasons, she can't think of one.

And Jaemin was present in today's meeting because Jeno threatened him to do so. But he willingly joined them because he didn't want any of his friends to come home with a new bruise or scratch on their bodies.

Jaemin gasped out loud, grabbing his two friends' attention. He looked at Jihyuck in the eyes, terror and concern clouded his features.

"What?" she raised her brows at Jaemin.

"I don't want to accuse her without any solid proof but could it be—Jihan?" fear peeking through his voice.

Jihyuck froze throughout her entire body. She hadn't heard that name for so long. She cleared her throat, she can't be emotional in front of Donghyuck. 

"We're not talking about the Jihan I know, right?" Donghyuck looked at Jihyuck and then Jaemin for an answer.

"If you're talking about Park Jihan, yes, we are talking about her too," Jaemin said to Donghyuck, deadpan.

Donghyuck frowned instantly. "Why would Jihan do that?" he questioned.

"Because Ji dated her ex-boyf—" Jaemin couldn't finish his words as Jihyuck slammed a palm to cover his mouth. "Umph! Let me go!"

Donghyuck furrowed his brows deeper. Frustration growing within him. "If you're going to keep secrets from me, we're not going to solve this case. Ever."

She had a moment of contemplation. Voices in her mind started throwing their respective conclusions. She pondered whether it was the right choice to let someone like Donghyuck know such a big secret of her life.

And then, she decided, fuck it.

Yes. Donghyuck insults will make you want to die, disappear from the surface of the earth. His insults will stab through your heart and he will withdraw the knife and stab through it once again. It was painful. Yet, Jihyuck chose to surrender to that because she'd rather have Donghyuck step over pride than her father screaming to her face, telling her how useless she was for not being able to keep that high position for more than a day.

She inhaled a deep breath. "I know you're going to judge me because every time I told people this, they always said I am the villain. I don't mind though. I could understand why they said so," she began.

Donghyuck nodded, listening attentively.

"I dated Jihan's ex-boyfriend."

Donghyuck's eyebrows lifted on their own. "You what?"

Huh, Jihyuck already expected this kind of reaction from him.

"I dated Jihan's ex-boyfriend, Donghyuck."

Donghyuck just can't bring himself to believe his ears. Out of all reasons why Jihyuck and the school heartthrob could be enemies, he could've never thought of them sharing the same boyfriend.