10: Words Cut Like Knives

CHAPTER TEN.

The moment Mrs. Lee's eyes caught Donghyuck helping Jihyuck to walk, her scream echoed through the entire house, grabbing Jaemin, Jeno and Renjun's attention.

They quickly rushed to the living room. Mr. Lee who was outside preparing for their barbecue session later also came into the house.

Donghyuck helped her sit on the couch. She carefully removed her hand off his body.

"My goodness! Hyuck, look at all of this blood," Mrs. Lee gently held her hand, analyzing the scratches on her palm. "Jaemin, can you help grab the first aid kit in my room?" she asked without taking her eyes off Jihyuck.

In no time, Jaemin ran upstairs.

"Ji!" Jeno crouched down on the floor. "W-what happened?"

Jihyuck laughed, hoping it'd helped to reduce the tension in the room. "Don't worry, everyone. I'm fine. Look, I'm alive," she assured.

Except no one was buying her lies.

"Donghyuck, what happened?" Mrs. Lee questioned.

He ran his hand through his hair. "Mom, she crossed the street mindlessly and..." he paused, feeling his chest tighten. "A motorcycle passed by. It—almost hit her, mom."

Jihyuck brought her gazes to Donghyuck and she was right. He was about to cry. His eyes filled with tears, on the brink of falling. She looked at everyone else and they seemed sad, just like Donghyuck.

Was there something I don't know?

Jaemin finally came with a first aid kit in his hand. "Here," he passed the box to the older woman.

"It's okay, Donghyuck," Renjun approached him. He stroked his shoulder, providing hopefully comfort for the boy. "She's fine. It's not your fault."

Jihyuck was confused. There was something she did not know about. She was certain Donghyuck didn't act this way because he actually cared for her.

She felt bad. So, she decided to apologize even though she didn't think she needed to. She looked at Donghyuck. "I'm sorry for troubling you," she said.

Jeno and Jaemin exchanged glances.

"Do you not care about your life so much?"

Jihyuck frowned. This was not the response she wanted to hear.

"Donghyuck," Renjun squeezed his arm.

"Do you want to die so bad?" he raised his brows as he took a few steps forward, looking down at Jihyuck.

"Lee Donghyuck, what is wrong with you?" Mrs. Lee stared at him.

"Even if you don't care about your life, think about the people around you. Think about how your family and friends would have to deal with your death," he snarled.

She returned the glare he gave her. "What the hell is wrong with you? Did I die? No. Why are you getting mad over something that didn't happen? And even if I died, don't worry, Donghyuck. No one will blame you because we were never close in the first place!"