50: I Wanna Be Hers

CHAPTER FIFTY.

As soon as Jihyuck's class ended, she waited for Mark and went to the park for lunch. Much to their liking, the weather was amazing. The sun was bright but light breezes passed by at times.

Mark spread the mat Jihyuck brought and she began setting down their stuff.

"Why didn't you invite the others?" he asked.

She opened the lid of those food containers. "Why? You don't like hanging out with me?"

He laughed. "I mean, isn't it better to share the food you made with everyone else?"

She poured him plain water. "Jaemin has class, and Jeno is going to the mall with Heejin. Do I have any other friends I can have a small picnic with?"

He joined her, sitting down on the mat. "What about Donghyuck?"

The way he sounded so casual sent goosebumps to her entire body. "What about him?"

"Why didn't you ask him to join you?"

She shot him an unimpressed look. "You think he'll join me? Under this hot sun, eating the cookies I made?"

"Of course."

She shook her head as she set a food container full of chocolate chip cookies in front of him. "You don't know him. He will not."

His eyes wrinkled in excitement. "You made cookies?"

She hummed. "Jedi asked me last night if I could make them because he wanted to bring them to the daycare."

Mark's lips turned down. He patted her head gently. "My girl is so kind. Thank you, I'll be sure to finish this," he said, making her grumble. "Oh. Back to what we were saying, I don't know Donghyuck? Do you know him?"

"A little?" Jihyuck answered as she tucked her hair behind her ears and took a bite of the sandwiches Mark bought at the cafeteria.

He scoffed. "If you do know him, you'd know that he'll come."

She looked at him up at down, judging in silence. "Are you his best friend now?"

He rolled his shoulders.

For some reason, they fell into silence.

They sat quietly and enjoyed their food as they admired the lovely view of their college's flowers garden.

And this was why she asked Mark, out of all of her friends, to hang out with her.

She had been doing this with him for a whole year. She loved coming here when things were getting out of hand, when she can't ignore the sadness in her chest because Mark will never force her to open up.

"I fought with my dad yesterday," she broke the silence.

He hummed. "I know. You always look for me when you're sad."

Her face turned sour almost immediately. "Mark, I never meant to—"

He clicked his tongue, brushing their shoulders together. "I know, I know." He raised both of his hands. "And I'm glad you find me whenever you're having a hard time because that'd mean I succeed in comforting you."