45: Rooftop Dinner

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE.

Jihyuck and Donghyuck released a tense breath as soon as he clicked enter. And with that, the Neotech project they were working on days and nights for the past few months came to an end. No more pulling all-nighters, no more arguing about who was going to write the drafts and do the editing.

They gaped at the screen of the computer, taking in the outcome of their hard work.

"I can see why they chose us for this," Jihyuck said.

He turned his head, looking at her with a small smile. "We did it?"

She returned the smile and held a hand up for a high-five. "We did it."

"We can focus on our final exams now," he said.

A sigh emitted from her mouth as she shut her eyes, throwing her back against the backrest. "I don't even understand yesterday's class." She glanced over her shoulder. "Why did I even tell you that? Forgive me. I forgot that you're an overachiever for a moment," she said with a sense of sarcasm in her sentence.

There was the tiniest smile on his lips that no one could see unless they squint their eyes. "You know, it's okay to not understand certain topics right away. You can always try and relearn it," he said, shutting the computer.

She shot him a scornful smile. "And that will make it easier for you to beat me, am I right?"

He stared at her serious face for a few seconds and shook his head. "Don't know why but I don't feel the spark to beat you in everything anymore."

Her forehead creased. "Are you trying to say you can easily outdo me?"

He sighed, expecting this kind of response from her. He dipped into his bag and pulled out the few pages of notes he summarized yesterday. He slid it toward her.

She looked up at him. "What is this?"

"My notes. I've done a few questions for yesterday's topic. I think that'll help you understand the concept too."

Her eyes dropped to the table. "And you're lending me your notes?"

He nodded.

"Why?" she asked, narrowing her eyes at him.

"What do you mean why?"

"Why are you acting all nice to me?"

He scoffed. "Because I want my partner to succeed too."

Her brows furrowed. "And I'm not your partner."

He let out a sigh as he ran a hand through his hair. "You are my partner. We hold the same position in Neotech and did this whole project together. I don't know about you but I see you as my partner now," he explained.

He crossed his arms. "And," he glanced at her over his shoulder. "My mother would love to see both her son and daughter ace their final exam."

Her eyes flickered, taken aback by his sudden comment.

"What? I told you my mom loves you like her own daughter."