22: Pleasing Sight, Serene Heart

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO.

"Jaemin called you," she said the moment Donghyuck came back to the living room with a fluffy blanket.

"You picked up?" he asked, receiving a nod from the girl. "What did he say?"

"He asked if you've seen me."

He furrowed his brows. "Jaemin asked me?"

She hummed nonchalantly as she helped him spread the blanket over their lap. "He probably thought we were together doing Neotech task or something," she told.

He pulled the blanket to the side, letting it cover the girl completely. "Why did he ask where you were, though?"

"Jeno called, perhaps. I left home without telling anyone."

"Jihyuck," his voice deepened, staring at her like a strict father. "You came here without telling anyone?"

She sighed. "I did."

"Why did you do that?" he questioned almost angrily.

She turned her head, sending him a look of disbelief. This wasn't what she wanted to hear after taking a cab, getting caught in the rain at night, just to ensure that he was okay. "Can we just watch the movie?"

He snatched the remote control from her, causing her mouth to part. "You should at least let Jeno know. I don't even know you were coming here. Imagine if you were kidnapped on your way here and no one knows your whereabouts," he scolded. There was a strong sense of authority in his voice.

She tilted her head. "Is this your way of saying thank you after I came here running just to make sure you're not alone?!"

"Why are you screaming—"

"Because you're terrible. I hate you so much. I don't even know why was I worried about you when I know better than anyone that this is who Donghyuck is. Insensitive, selfish, brat," she spat out. Her chest heaved from trying to restrain the growing anger within her.

"No one forced you to come here!" his tongue ran before his mind could process it. He knew he was going to regret it sooner than he thought.

Four years of being solely enemies with her, getting rid of the desire to win in every argument they had weren't the easiest thing to do.

"You..." she bit her lips, attempting to brush off the heaviness that was clenching her heart. She sighed. "I'm going to Jaemin's room. Just—let me cool down. You stay here. We shouldn't talk."

Guilt poured into his chest like a tsunami.

It was him again.

I messed up.

He wondered why was it so hard for them to have a proper conversation, at least once. And only now did he realize that he was the problem. That hunted him like crazy. The feeling. It was the worst.

This was the main reason he often shut people out. He didn't make new friends, he did not wish to. He'd only hurt them with everything that rolled off his tongue. He'd only burden them with his complexity.