34: A New Book, Different Me

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR.

The slanting rays of the setting sun
gave a warm, soft orange tinge to the sky. The sea gleamed beneath it, reflecting the hue of the broad sky beautifully.

There was a sense of peace Jihyuck felt in her chest she hadn't felt in a while, allowing her to breathe easier. Either it was because of the serene surrounding or because of Chenle's presence, she couldn't tell.

"You're a year younger than me?!" she questioned, astounded.

He nodded, smiling.

As if her body was following a manual, the corner of her lips rose as well. Her eyes dropped to his lips for a moment before she diverted them elsewhere. "I love your smile."

He turned his head, looking at her as if it was the first time he ever received such compliment. "You know, that's the nicest compliment I've ever heard in my life," he told. "People often say I laugh too much or I smile too hard."

Her brows furrowed as she stopped talking a step forward. "They said that?" she asked, feeling upset for some reason.

"I don't take it to heart, though," he shrugged his shoulders.

She released a long breath and the smile on her lips returned. "Bro, you're such a cool person! I don't want to seem desperate but can we be friends?" she asked, a sense of anticipation in her voice.

Chenle casually brushed their shoulders. "Of course. I thought we're friends already since you offered to help me with the flowers."

"So, do you live here?"

Chenle took a few seconds before he answered. "My family has a flower shop nearby. But I live ten minutes away from here."

She hummed in acknowledgement.

"It'd be nice if you could visit our shop some time."

"I would love to but I live kind of far from here—"

"Hyuck."

She craned her neck and found Donghyuck standing a few meters away from Chenle. His face was dismal and his gazes were sharp. His hands were kept inside the pockets of his black shorts.

"Donghyuck," she muttered. "Do you—" she didn't know why her tongue felt heavy. "Do they need my help?"

He didn't respond to her question. Instead, she caught him staring at Chenle as if he was going to eat him alive.

"Donghyuck?"

"Is he your friend?"

"Well," she looked at Chenle, finding the simplest way to explain it. "You could say that. I helped him with something and we happened to become friends. Right?" she smiled, nudging him with her elbow.

Chenle nodded.

"What do you mean happened to be friends with him? Don't tell me you made friends with someone you just met—"

His mouth ran dry when Jihyuck suddenly linked their arms and pulled them away.

She raised her head a little to look in his eyes. "Can you not be like this? He's a nice person. I invited him to join us for the barbecue."