06: Something Is Fishy

CHAPTER SIX.

Jihyuck met Jeno on her way downstairs. She was about to eat dinner while Jeno seemed to head out to the gym as usual. It was either Donghyuck or Jaemin because the three went to the gym religiously.

As soon as they reached the living room, they heard sobs coming from the dining table. They approached the area and she saw Jedi's shoulder heaving up and down, crying, while their father was staring at him.

Jedi opened his eyes and his cries immediately got louder when he saw Jihyuck. "Hyuck," he mumbled in between his sobs. "I-I'm scared."

Jihyuck occupied the seat next to the sullen boy. She lifted him and placed him on her lap. "Don't cry. Tell me, what happened. I'll listen to you," she wiped his tears with the pad of her thumb.

Jeno shook his head at the sight. Reading the heated room, he chose to leave without saying anything.

Jedi accidentally found their father's eyes and quickly snuggled into Jihyuck's neck. He wrapped his hands around her. "Hyuck, dad. Angry," he cried.

She hummed, patting his back. "It's okay. I'm here now, right? Come, eat your food. I'll stay with you," she assured softly.

Slowly, Jedi lifted his head and wiped his tears. She smiled, proud. She put him aside and placed a new plate in front of him. "Here, carefully."

Ensuring her brother was eating well, Jihyuck then picked a plate and began filling her stomach. Silence took over the dining table. She hung her head low.

"Jihyuck," a woman's voice called for her name.

"Lee Jihyuck," she softly muttered again.

"Jedi was playing with his food so dad scolded him," Mrs. Hana explained. She didn't know why but it felt like Jihyuck needed to know why Jedi was crying. So, she told her—but that wasn't the best decision.

Jihyuck laughed in a low voice. "Right. Dad is always like that. A two-year-old played with his food and you felt the need to get mad at him?" she lifted her head, staring straight into her father's eyes.

"We need to educate him, Jihyuck," Mrs. Hana said.

"Educating, my ass. He was scared. Your child was scared to even look at your husband in the eyes? And what did you do? You watched him cry, what a great mother Jedi and Jenna has," she sneered.

"Watch your mouth, Jihyuck. Do not raise your voice at your mother," Mr. Lee Jaehi spoke out.

Jihyuck clenched her jaw. "And is it okay to raise your voice at a two-year-old? If only you know your child better than I do, you'd know that Jedi is a good kid. He'll listen to what you said, but that'd be too much to ask because you were rarely around him as he grew up. It was me. And that explained why I was in pain when I saw him cry. Because I love him more than you do," she spat out with venom.

"Jihyuck..." Mrs. Hana watched them sadly.

"Besides," Jihyuck turned to look at Mrs. Hana with rage and hatred in her eyes. "She's not even my real mother."

"Lee Jihyuck!"

"What is happening?" Jeno stood next to Jihyuck, blocking her from their father's reach.