Pledges (34)

The unconscious body on the floor was still breathing so I, with the help of Chance, moved the deadweight onto a chair with padding and then returned to the prayer room to continue their chat and gossip which ranged from the gods drama to the cat fight outside the school's teacher's dorm.

Although it sounds insensitive, it's not really. This isn't the first time my brother met Chance or the first time he's met a divine being while knowing it's one either. He's openly met Chance, Winny, Minny as well as a few of the others too and he knows their all gods and goddesses!

He does this everytime he sees ne alone with a god though... he's fine if it's more than one or if I'm with someone else just not when I have one on one chats I guess?

Anyway, after relocating the living corpse, I continued chatting with Chance before he eventually had to leave so I bid him goodbye and then went to check if the body had gained consciousness in my absence or if he had fallen from his perch on the chair we left him on. He started to stir from his sleepless sleep as I approached.

"You up?" I asked with a monotone voice due to boredom and tiredness.
"Ugh, yeah..." my brother replied hoarsely as he slowly stretched his stiff limbs before adjusting his sitting posture to a more comfortable and aesthetically pleasing position. A few clicks and snaps rang out in an echo to my brothers movements until it eventually concluded its duration in contrast to the still occurring movement.
"You good?" I asked with slight concern as his body had just played a full song.
"Yeah just a little stiff so I need to stretch a bit." Leo said with a yawn as he tried to stretch into a comfortable position without looking silly so that he didn't COMPLETELY embarrass himself.

Leo's pov

I regained my consciousness after passing out for a while due to my worry over my baby brother. He's too cute, and I only found him again after years recently! I can't let someone steal him so quickly... but... my opponent's a god! I refuse to give but how do I fight off a literal GOD!?! Is my efforts truly futile?

Anyway! I went off track. My adorable baby bro was the first thing I heard and saw as I reopened my eyes, that god must have left... I'm happy about it but yet still inexplicably frustrated, why dose he get to just come and go as he pleases, same with the other gods and goddesses, although I don't mind the lesbian goddesses, and the other happily committed to a relationship between themselves, deities.

I did it again! I got distracted! Stay focused so you can act as the dependable big brother you trained to be! I would pledge my sword, soul and body to Charlie if he let me, but for some reason he always stops me saying I should save my pledges for my future partner.

To clarify, there are four pledges in the world.
The pledge of sword, which is a pledge to forever protect the one who receives and excepts your pledge as your top priority.
The pledge of soul, which is a pledge to remain eternally loyal to whomever or whatever receives and accepts your pledge.
The pledge of body, which is a pledge to forever provide your services to whoever or whatever receives and accepts your pledge.
Then finally the pledge of life, which is a pledge to forever love whomever or whatever receives and accepts your pledge.

The pledges are bound by an unbreakable oath of which can never be broken by the one who makes the pledge, pledges cannot be forced or they become invalid and their effects are null. Due to the sacredness and mystical nature of these pledges, they can only be made once in your life for each pledge. It's not uncommon for nobles who are the head of their house to perform one of their pledges either sword, soul or body to the crown if not multiple sometimes even them all, although the pledge of life is only normally performed when married. When a pledge is made to the crown, that can reference the king, crown prince, crown prince candidate (if there's more than one), the Queen or any other individual royal who holds influence in the past, present or future as a ruling monarch.

Surprising enough the least common pledge, is the pledge of life although its highly recommended when you marry someone.

Regardless, many don't or only one party will and in such cases cheating is all to common an occurrence which is both a good and bad thing, because at least they're not stuck whith each other forever (unless it was a case where only one person made the edge, and in those situationswhereits one sided the one who betrayed the pledge makers love will be greatly punished in ways that defy understanding) yet it still is upsetting when people's marriages fail and fall apart even when it doesn't directly affect you.

My mother has made all of her pledges, she pledged life to father although father didn't, she pledged soul to the current king as they are brother and sister, she pledged body to me and sword to Charlie. As father was abusive and manipulative I believe that his sudden death was a result of his actions, especially involving his disregard of mother and her pledge, catching up to him and death was the punishment he received. However I have no proof and mother has yet to accept how much of a bad person my father was as even after all he did, mother still loves him whole heartedly. When I was younger, just after Charlie ran away, I asked mother if she ever regretted making any of her pledges to who she did, whilst hinting about dad but she told me she never did and never would and that filled my heart with a new pride and love for my mother.

==========♠︎==========

Hope you enjoyed!

Sorry its been a while, I was low on ideas.