The End (50)

Charlie's pov

Since then, time has flown. Me and Connor have been dating for a year, and my class has changed as the new school year begins.

Chloe has been escorted to her classroom by Jacob, who is now in his last year, every day since the semester began. Connor has moved to the classroom closer to mine so that we can see each other more often. Jamie and Lance have started officially dating, and there are rumors of them getting engaged soon. My plan worked, so now Kyle and Zack are dating (after 3 months of awkward conversation that almost drove me insane!)

Overall, it's been a good year. I descoveded Connor is easily flustered, so I've taken up teasing him as a kind of hobby. However, I worry I went too far with my teasing yesterday since Connor has been ignoring me since.
We were cuddling, and I joked, saying, "We've been dating for a year now, so when do you plan to officially take responsibility for me?"
I was expecting him to go red in the gace like usual, but instead, the smile dropped off his face, and he went silent. He hasn't spoken to me since other than occasional dismissive one word answers when I try and talk to him.

Connor's pov

Me and Charlie have been dating for a year now! I still get butterflies when we're together, and although Charlie teases me, I love him, but yesterday Charlie made a joke that reminded me of something important that I'd forgotten. I know he's not serious, but I want to do it. I want to marry Charlie.

When the thought crossed my mind, I fell into my thoughts by the time I had gathered an idea of what I wanted to do it was the next day and I was half heartedly teaching my first class of the day. It was a second year class that Charlie happened to teach last year, I didn't know them well, but I taught them twice a fortnight. The thing that fully pulled me out of my thoughts was a student by the name of Chloe Blanch.

The girl had approached me at some point during the lecture and had gently tapped my shoulder, pulling me out of my head, "Yes?"
"Mr Raymond, why are you so distracted today? Did something bad happen?" She'd asked me with a concerned face and tone.
"No, nothing like that," I replied, trying to assure her that nothing was wrong. However, it didn't seem to work.
"Then why are you so preoccupied by your thoughts that you've said the aame thing three times already?" Chloe interrogated with a look of distrust.
"I did?" I asked mostly to myself in shock.
"Yes, you did," she replied matter of factly with a blank face and dull tone of voice.
"Oh, I apologize..." I muttered whilst I reached my hand up to discreetly cover my burning ears.
"It's fine, we," she said, gesturing to the class, "just want to know what happened between Mr Valentine and you that's got you so muddled up," Chloe finished explaining with a knowing tone of voice and a cheeky grin.

Seeing the girl knock the nail right on the head, I almost questioned whether Charlie had asked her to ask, but something in my gut tolled me that wasn't the case. I love my boyfriend, but I also know what he's like, and although he's a genius academically and magically, he's not the brightest when it comes to emotional matters.

I decided to relent and tell her and the class by proxy a simplified and vague summary of my current dilemma but made sure to reassure them that I'd come up with a solution so it wouldn't be an issue before returning to the lessons content, this time with my full attention.

After the class finished, the rest of the school day passed as per usual, and soon, it was time for me to bring the ideas from my head to life.

I had a free period last lesson, so I had gone back to my dorm early in order to begin making preparations. I mustered the best of my mediocre culinary skills and cooked a fancy looking meal. I'd timed it to be ready just before Charlie got home. Then I pulled out an expensive bottle of authentic Daveer, a sparkling white wine made solely in the Daveer region of the neighbouring kingdom known for its unique and expensive taste, I'd been gifted this bottle by my grandfather before he passed with the hopes I'd share it with my spouse in the future and if today went as I hoped I would be fulfilling that wish today.

Charlie's pov

I got home after a long day teaching and was still worried about what happened the last time I and Connor properly talked. I couldn't help worrying that I'd upset him, especially since he'd been ignoring me ever since...

Therefore, it came as a real suprise to me that when I got home today not only was Connor waiting for me with his familiar loving gaze and doting smile but I could smell something delicious coming from the dining room!

"Connor, what's that smell?" I asked as my stomach rumbled in response to the delectable scent that was dancing under my nose.
"I decided to make us dinner," Connor replied with a shy voice that was tinhed with anticipation, his face a rosy shade I loved from embarrassment or maybe the heat from cooking.
I couldn't help completing, "It smells great."
"Thanks. I put a lot of effort into today's meal," Connor quietly replied as he took my hand to gently guide me to the table, which was laid in the spread for a romantic candle lit dinner.

For once, I blushed at connors thoughtfulness and attention to detail, my previous worries about having possibly upset him completely escaping my mind as I was absorbed by the romantic atmosphere.

We ate the food in a comfortable silence, and it truly tasted as good as it smelt, if not better. As I finished the last bite of potatoes in herb sauce, I glanced up and noticed Connor had gotten up from his seat and was now kneeling on one knee besides me holding a beautiful carved oak box with a stunning ring standing inside up to me.

Noticing my gaze, he lifred his head with a smile on his lips and eyes curved into beautiful cresents, "Will you marry me?"
Stunned and overcome with so many emotions, I could only say one word, "Yes!"

-----‐-‐‐‐--------------------------------‐--------

Hope you all enjoyed this story!

With this chapter, Charlie's story is coming to a close.
If everyone wants, I can post an extra with details on the wedding, but I've left it open-ended so you all can imagine their happy ending together however you like.

This has been an amazing and rewarding experience for me, and I'm astonished that so many people have read my story. I really appreciate all the love and support the book has gotten, and I hope the ending is satisfactory for you all.