Chapter 12

Lonely. Sakura is lonely and it's because of me. I have already put her through so much and now I can add this to the list. Albeit it's the least severe but I didn't like it nonetheless.

I was gone from the village for years and then after the war I immediately left again to go on this journey, which has had me away for months now.

I heard the call of my hawk overhead and watched as it swooped down to land on a nearby branch, he was delivering another letter.

Sasuke,

I am being dispatched to the Land of Stone to begin the process of opening a clinic there. I'm not sure how long I will be gone but I'll miss your visits.

I'll continue to write to you. Be safe.

Sakura

No. She was leaving, moving even further away from me now. I knew she could handle herself but, being in Konoha, I knew she'd be safe. Where was she going in the Land of Stone? She never said.

I told myself to take a deep breath and calm down. I'm a rational person, I could figure this out. After thinking for a moment it seemed I only had 2 options:

1. Continue on my journey and write her while she's in the Land of Stone working. For however long that might be.

2. I could reroute my plans and make my way closer to the Land of Stone. That way I can be closer to her.

But I didn't want her to suspect that I think she's weak. Because she's not, the furthest thing from it actually. When we were Genin I used to think so but after seeing how hard she's worked to get where she is, especially after seeing her abilities first hand during the war, I've come to admire her strength.

I decided to go with option 2. I couldn't stand that she was further away from me. I turned on my heel and began to walk back to the port on Nagi Island.

It was still early so it was busy but I used this time to gather the supplies I would need for the journey. The shop was small but laid out in such a way that you walked in one side and then out the other.

Once I had everything I needed I exited the shop and continued towards the docks. The sky was a bright blue color and not a cloud was in sight so hopefully it would be a smoother journey than last time.

I was walking past an alleyway when a noise caught my attention and stopped me in my tracks. I turned my head to the right to see 2 figures in the alley. One was pushed up against the wall, the second holding them there.

I turned to walk towards them. "Let her go" I ordered. Once the words left my mouth I realized it was Akiko's mother Hana. My Sharingan activated and glowed in the darkness.

"This is none of your business" he said as he moved his hand down to reveal a knife on his hip. It was small, maybe a couple inches in length but nothing that's a threat to me.

I continued to slowly walk towards him. I could see his bluff; his breath quickened, sweat was forming on his brow, and there was a slight tremble to his hands.

I took another step forward, testing him. He stood his ground. I took another step. He faltered slightly and that's when I made my move. I rushed forward and dropped my shoulder into his side which pushed him to the ground.

It must've happened when we collided but when I stood back upright I felt a sharp jab in my side. Upon inspection, it was the knife he brandished on his hip.

"Argh!" I called out quietly before pulling it out. On the end, mixed with my blood, was a purplish liquid; poison.