Chapter 46

Sakura had wanted to come with me to the gate but couldn't. Sarada was not having an easy time adjusting to the thought of me not being home.

We made sure to wake up early to make breakfast together like we normally did. Once it was time for me to gather my gear and leave she became inconsolable.

I hugged Sakura tightly and kissed her deeply. She knew what this life was like but we had grown used to what we've had these last few years. It was hard.

I made her promise to write me everyday that she could. I wanted to know how they were doing.

Kakashi met Naruto and I at the gate and went over the details of the mission one last time before we departed.

The beginning of our travel was done in silence. Neither of us happy about what we were having to do but knew why we needed to go. Naruto was finally the one who broke the silence.

"Sarada was pretty sad, huh?" He asked somberly.

"Yeah."

Just thinking of her crying was enough to make me want to turn around. Thinking of not being there to put her to bed or make breakfast with her was bad too. Thinking of Sakura alone to try and console her when she doesn't understand why I'm not there, was even worse.

"Boruto took it bad. Hinata too."

The only thing I looked forward to were Sakura's letters. It reminded me of how we started out, only communicating by letters. I found myself reminiscing of those days a lot.

"We should be able to clean this mission up quickly and then we can get back home." There wasn't a question about that. We've done it once as children, we can do it again as fully realized shinobi.

"That's the plan" I replied simply.

"I am confused on why we of all shinobi got sent on this mission. I know it's an S Rank and all but it seems too simple for both of us to be needed. You know?"

He wasn't wrong. I had been thinking that myself but Kakashi made it seem like only we could do it.

The journey took us a few days. Three to be exact. We traveled from sunrise to sunset to be able to make it there faster. We both wanted to be done with this and get home.

We arrived at Tazuna's late on the third day.

"Sasuke it's good to see you again. You too Naruto" he he greeted us.

"Hey Tazuna! Long time no see!" Naruto hadn't seen him since he was about 16 from what I had gathered. "Lots changed since you've last seen us."

Naruto went on to tell him about Hinata, Boruto, and their new baby whom Hinata is currently pregnant with.

"And what about you Sasuke? Last time you were here you were galavanting through the country, not a care in the world. What took you back to your village?"

I chuckled, "Sakura and I had a daughter and got married. We recently celebrated her second birthday."

Tazuna's eyed widened in shock. "That little pink haired girl actually settled down with you?" Naruto couldn't contain his laughter. I humored him with a smirk because quite frankly I couldn't believe it sometimes either.

"Well it's good to see you boys here nonetheless. We've been having a lot of trouble lately and I know you two can take care of it."

We all talked well into the night. Tazuna filled us in on what exactly was happening. It turns out it was a gang from a neighboring village who was looking to control the port for their own gain. That's what he thought at least.

"But why us Tazuna?" I asked him. "Did you request us?"

"Uh, no actually. I just needed two shinobi. They just happened to send you."

Something wasn't sitting right with me on this. I didn't want to dwell but something was off.

I was put in the same room I was in last time, it still looked the same. It felt strange to go to sleep without putting Sarada to bed first, then coming in and seeing Sakura lying there reading the final pages of some book. It was lonely.