Chapter 34

Sakura was in labor. It was happening. But it shouldn't be. She wasn't due for another month at least.

I ran behind Hana, turning down a maze of familiar hallways deep beneath the ground. I hadn't been here in years but knew it was safe and fortified.

"Hana, what happened?" I asked as we ran.

"The pain hit not long ago. She was becoming more and more stressed. I think it paired with the events of the last few days brought on early labor" she explained between breaths.

"But she's not due yet. Not for 4 or so weeks."

"She should be fine Sasuke, she's far enough along to where the baby should be okay."

As we turned the final corner Hana directed me into the first room on the right. I pushed the door open to find Sakura lying in bed, her brow sweaty and breathing labored.

"Sasuke!" she let out a sob as she said my name, relieved I've finally arrived. I ran to her side and held her hand tightly.

"I'm here. I'm here."

She threw her head back and groaned as another contraction hit. I hated seeing her in pain like this. I had never felt so helpless. Hana stepped into the room and lifted the bottom of the blanket, checking on the progression of Sakura's labor.

"It's time to push Sakura." She nodded silently as she bit on her lower lip. She was still holding my hand tightly, a little too tight but I wasn't about to object.

Hana continued to coach Sakura from between her knees, telling her when to push and when to rest. It was a repeating cycle and I could see Sakura becoming more and more exhausted.

"How much longer Hana?" I asked after another round of pushing.

"Two, maybe three more pushes. Sakura, take a few deep breaths and push again. You're almost there."

Sakura cried out one last time before falling back on the pillows.

"You did it!" Hana cried out as she wrapped the baby in blankets but her brow was furrowed in concern. The room was silent, our baby was just born and there weren't any cries filling the room. The only thing heard was our breathing.

Hana quickly picked the bundle up and began to rub the baby's chest vigorously, trying to stimulate breathing. After what seemed like an eternity cries filled the room. Sakura and I both let out the breath we had been holding.

Hana walked over and laid the bundle of blankets on Sakura's chest. As she gently pushed the blankets aside a tiny pink baby with black hair was revealed. It looked just like the child from my dreams.

"It's a girl" Sakura said breathlessly. "Hi little Sarada."

Sarada. It suited her perfectly. Sarada Uchiha. She was little, much smaller than I had expected her to be but she was about a month early after all. She was perfect in every way.

"Sasuke I need to tend to Sakura. Please take the baby for a bit."

She informed me that the baby needed skin to skin contact, that it was very important. She instructed me to remove my shirt so she could lay Sarada directly on my chest and then wrapped the blanket around us both.

"Here, support her head like this. There you go. Now, just stay like this for a bit. I'll call you when Sakura's finished."

I paced around in the hall just outside the room. Sarada had calmed almost as soon as she was put on my chest. Hana had wrapped the blanket tight enough to support her body and my hand held the back of her head. I stroked her hair with my thumb, it was dark and beautiful. The child I had been dreaming about for months was now in my hand.

Hana stepped out of the room just as I had passed by. She waved me back inside and unwrapped the baby, I didn't want to let her go but I couldn't be selfish to Sakura. She took Sarada and laid her directly on Sakura's bare chest.

"She needs to eat." She helped Sakura get her latched and stepped out of the room to give us privacy. Sarada would let out soft grunts as she ate.

"Thank you Sakura" I told her as I kissed her forehead.

I allowed Hana and Akiko to return home the next morning but not without the promise that they were now safe. We couldn't thank each other enough. Had she not been there with Sakura I don't know what I would've done. I told her I'd visit again soon with the baby.

Once they were safely through I shut the portal. Now I was finally able to spend time with my family. It was the best feeling in the world to be able say that. I'd been alone for so long and now I have everything I have longed for.

Every time I looked at my daughter it hit me harder that I was a father now. That I was responsible for her growth and protection. She looked so much like Sakura but had the Uchiha hair and eyes.

I was seated in a chair next to Sakura's bed with the baby asleep on my chest. She was looking at the two of us with a toothless grin. "You're both so beautiful."

"Sakura I- I don't think I could ever thank you enough."

We spent the next few weeks where we were to allow Sakura time to heal. Once she realized where we were she wasn't too thrilled about the idea but understood my thinking. Orochimaru's hideouts were not easily found.

Both of them were asleep and I used this moment to go to the entrance and send my hawk out with a letter.