Chapter 90

Sarada rushed upstairs to start getting ready for the day while Sakura cleaned up the kitchen after breakfast. I couldn't just sit so I stood beside her at the sink to rinse the dishes as she washed.

"Sasuke you don't need to help" she insisted, "it's your birthday after all." She always said she didn't think you had to do chores on your birthday. It was always a quirky rule of hers.

I hated the celebration, at least on my birthday. For them I always strived to make it special, even if it was a small gesture.

She always tried to return the favor, naturally. I appreciated everything she did for me and went along with whatever plans she had schemed for that year. I think she secretly hoped she would make me start to enjoy it but it always made me feel bad to know my feelings hadn't changed.

"Sarada has been excited for your birthday" Sakura happily said as she washed a bowl. And that is why I felt so guilty.

"Sakura. I have to meet with Naruto soon. He needs me to deliver correspondence to a neighboring village. I'll most likely be gone most of the day."

Her hands froze mid wash on a plate. "And it has to be today? Of all days?" Her voice was full of disappointment.

"Sakura you know I can't disobey an order from the Hokage. Even if it is Naruto." And to be honest I hadn't even thought about it being on my birthday since I always saw it as another day any ways. But for them I should've been more considerate. This day might not be important to me but it is to them.

I dried my hands on the towel next to me on the counter and I wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her against my side.

"Please don't be upset."

"You don't have to worry about me" she told me earnestly, "but you do need to worry about Sarada."

There was no way I could tell Sarada I wouldn't be around. I couldn't disappoint her again. I tossed the towel I had been holding onto the counter and made my way to the front door.

"Where are you going!?" she called as I opened the door.

"To talk to Naruto" and I shut the door behind me, heading to the Hokage's office.

"Can you guys ever just knock first?!" Naruto exclaimed as I entered his office unannounced.

"I'm not taking that correspondence today" I told him firmly as I pointed to the scroll resting on the desk in front of him. He tilted his head to the side and looked at me like I was crazy.

"Okay?" he responded.

"And don't argue- wait what?" His response took me by surprise. He seemed totally unfazed.

"Okay. This isn't anything that needs to go immediately. Besides, I know it's your birthday. I didn't expect you to take it today."

It was easier than I thought. I dropped my hand back down to my side and turned to leave his office.

"What? You don't even stay to visit-" and his words were cut off by his office door closing behind me. It was time to head back home to my girls.

"I'm back" I announced as I entered the house. It was quieter than when I left it. Maybe Sakura and Sarada stepped out?

As I rounded the corner into the kitchen I was met with the small chorus of "Happy Birthday!" from my wife and daughter. On the table was a cake with strawberries on top and written in chocolate was Happy Birthday.

"Did we surprise you?" Sarada asked as she wrapped her arms around my waist. I smiled warmly at her and hugged her back, "Definitely."

We spent the rest of the day doing all the things Sarada wanted to do. All the things she wished she could've done with me while I was away for seven years.

It was the happiest birthday I think I've ever had.