Chapter 74

• • • Sarada's POV• • •

I don't understand why they keep me in the dark. I don't understand why I can't know about my heritage. I'm not naive, I know there's more to the near extinction of our clan than what Papa wants to tell me.

I couldn't stay there and talk to him I knew he would just tell me 'you're too young' or 'you won't understand'. Well if they wouldn't tell me I knew there was one person who was there through it all and his office wasn't far from here.

"I'm sorry for the intrusion Lord Seventh!" I quickly bowed and apologized.

I knew he would be here. I had barged in without waiting and startled him. He scrambled to steady the leaning stacks of paperwork on his desk. They were attacked dangerously high.

"What's going on Sarada? Is everything okay?"

I could feel the tears welling up but I pushed them back. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course. You can ask me anything."

I fidgeted with my fingers, my nervousness was a heavy ball in my stomach. This felt too personal to ask but I had to get answers and I wasn't going to get them from my parents. He was the only one close enough to them to know the truth. Like Papa had said, they all have a strong bond.

"Papa won't tell me.."

"Go on Sarada. What is it?" He looked at me concerned.

"He told me about the massacre."

His expression became guarded but his tone soft, "I see."

"He won't tell me who did it or why. I deserve to know."

He closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead. I know I was putting him in a tough position but it was worth it if I had a chance to figure this out.

"Do your parents know you're here?" His tone grew serious. I shook my head.

He sighed heavily and stood up from behind his desk. "Come on, I'm taking you home."

"No! I want answers and no one will give them to me! I deserve to know!" The tears I had held back and escaped down my cheeks. I wiped at them angrily.

"Sarada, calm down. Let me take you home." I dropped my head in defeat. He draped an arm across my shoulders and guided me from the office.

"You know you remind me a lot of your dad" he said as we walked down the street. "You're very determined."

I didn't say anything. I didn't want to talk about anything except my Clan.

"But you're also a lot like your mom too. You have a big heart and you're very strong."

"Why are you saying this?"

"I'm saying this because you need to know you got the best qualities from your parents. And they only want what's best for you, you know? They're protecting you."

"Protecting me from what? The truth?"

"No. Protecting you from pain and heartache Sarada."

We arrived at my house and Lord Seventh knocked on the door. A second later it swung open and Mama grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me into a tight hug. "Sarada! I've been worried sick!"

"Mama you're squishing me!" I said breathlessly. She released me and held my face between her hands, looking me over.

Over her shoulder I saw Papa and he didn't look happy. He held my gaze for a moment, his eyes hard. He walked past me to Lord Seventh.

"Let's talk" was all he said to him before he shut the door leaving me alone with Mama.