Chapter 10

The weather in the fortnight after the earthquake was not good—the days were either rainy or cloudy. The court worried that the people would become ill from drinking contaminated water. They sent patrols each day through the streets to tell people to boil water before drinking and not to kill their entire family just to save on wood.

The Ministry of Works also sent people to spread quicklime everywhere, and put up notices with preventative measures. They even set hard rules on what things people could do or not do.

Fortunately, this was in Jing. No official dared to slack off and put people who had diarrhea or a fever to the side to die. They were all sent to a remote and quiet place in the suburbs with free medicine to drink each day. Many people survived.

The heated post-disaster arrangements in Jing gained the young emperor even more popularity. In the eyes of the ordinary people, he clearly was a benevolent and virtuous ruler who was far beyond the previous emperor.

The ordinary people of the Feng Dynasty were practical. They would praise without sparing any effort whoever was good to them.

The young emperor benefited the most in this matter. Gu Chang Ling, as the person who dared to speak, also had his reputation rise greatly; in the eyes of the ordinary people, he became a good official who dared to take risks for the lives of the people. In the eyes of the scholars, he was the representative person for noble and upright conduct.

In the eyes of the aristocratic families... The aristocratic families thought they were extremely depressed. They had no effort to spare to consider this matter where someone obtained glory while they had bad luck.

So when the news of the second daughter of Gu Chang Ling being titled a county mistress spread, no one was surprised. They all felt that this should be so. A fortnight later, Gu Chang Ling's second-rank marquis was elevated to first-rank marquis. His wife was also elevated to commandery lady. The Gu Clan enjoyed great glory in Jing at this time.

Many people admired and were jealous of the Gu Family. But then they thought, if they encountered this matter, they may not have the bravery Gu Chang Ling had to report it. So the admiration gradually became respect. Other people could do something you could not. Could you refute it and be jealous?

Perhaps there were people who were jealous, but as Gu Chang Ling was deeply respected by the ordinary people right now, no one would express any discontent with the Gu Family. They had to publicly express their admiration of Gu Chang Ling's virtuous action to show that they were as upright as Gu Chang Ling.

The nobility and aristocratic families always had an upright and noble image. So through their possibly sincere or not compliments, Gu Chang Ling's label of being a "good official" was almost completely nailed down.

The aristocratic families paid attention to their honour the most. Gu Chang Ling having such a good reputation seemed to have lifted up the image of all Gu Family members.

As Jing recovered its former glory and prosperity, Gu Ru Jiu's older sister, Gu Pan Qi, came back to her paternal home with her husband.

Hearing her older sister had returned, Gu Ru Jiu changed outfits before she left her courtyard. When she entered the main yard, she heard laughter coming out of the room. She quickened her steps and entered the room. She did not bow to her parents, brothers and their wives before she walked towards Gu Pan Qi.

"Older Sister." Lifting her dress slightly, Gu Ru Jiu trotted towards Gu Pan Qi. Her gaze quickly scanned the other from head to toe. Then she turned and bowed to Zhang Shao who was sitting next to Gu Zhi Yu. "Greetings, Older Brother-in-law."

"Greetings, Younger Sister-in-law." Zhang Shao stood to return the bow, and also gave a gift to Gu Ru Jiu.

"Thank you, Brother-in-law, Sister." Gu Ru Jiu took over the gift box and sat next to Gu Pan Qi. She whispered, "Sister, are you well?"