Chapter 52

"What is this?" Gu Ru Jiu took the gold stamped paper Jin Yang handed her and was curious.

"It is the guest list for this state banquet," Jin Yang said. "The Duobao are not among them." He had heard of Jiu Jiu advising Mistress Zhou in front of Kangquan Palace, and was very happy that she had the same views as him on the matter.

This time, if the empress dowager had not sent a decree, he would still have taken the opportunity to punish the Zhou Family. He could keep one eye closed to some matters, but regarding others, they could not be allowed even once. If they were allowed once, they would grow out of control.

Gu Ru Jiu flipped through the list. Other than the officials and marquises above third rank as well as the envoys, there were some famed scholars and warriors. She pondered and understood why.

"There are countries among the envoys this time who want to ask Great Feng for advice?" Gu Ru Jiu scanned the list. "The Duoluo?"

Duoluo and Great Feng's grievances could be traced back to two centuries ago. Back then, Great Feng had just been founded. Gaoluo took the opportunity to invade. Neither of the two countries benefited, so Gaoluo suggested if Great Feng was willing to marry a princess to the ruler, they would be willing to negotiate peace.

But the founder of the Jin expressed clearly that Great Feng would not make a marriage alliance, would not give up land, would not make reparations. Gaoluo wasn't willing to retreat, so they could only fight until they were afraid.

The armies of Gaoluo were strong, but they were in the north, and would get snowed in during winter. Their citizens couldn't eat well during the winter, much less provide the supplies the army needed. Also, even if they had extra grain and fodder, they couldn't transport it to the border in such terrible weather.

Great Feng was different. Their crops produced great yields and they had a rich geography. Also, before the war started, many people and rich businesses donated money and grain, so Great Feng fought a war of attrition with Gaoluo.

The end result was a prince of Gaoluo was captured, and their general was shot in battle. Gaoluo gave up land and money to ransom back their prince.

After this battle, Gaoluo became docile for nearly a century. Then, a hundred years ago, when the Feng regent and new emperor were fighting for power, they attacked again.

The result this time was worse. The king of Gaoluo wanted to have a taste of taking to the field himself, and then he was captured alive by the Feng soldiers who had ambushed the military base.

Consequently, when this Gaoluo king was escorted into the capital, he was ruthlessly surrounded and watched by the capital's people.

After this battle, Gaoluo settled down. They gave up land and money, and also submitted to the Feng to become the biggest subordinate country to Great Feng.

However, this subordinate country did not seem to be very obedient, and always secretly thought about how to retrieve their dignity.

"Gaoluo is ambitious. I fear they did not come to congratulate us this time, but to investigate." Gu Ru Jiu put down the gilded invitation, and said with a frown, "They lost a few times, but are still not giving up."

"Since they dare to come, what do we have to fear?" Jin Yang looked down but couldn't conceal the ambition in his eyes. "Our ancestor was able to beat them, and Zhen can as well."

"I believe Your Majesty can accomplish it, and better than them." Gu Ru Jiu gripped his hand and said in a tone of unprecedented solemnity, "I, just like always, will support you and stay with you."

Jin Yang silently pulled Gu Ru Jiu into his embrace and hugged his dainty lover. The last hint of anxiety disappeared from his mind.

When his mother passed away from illness, he had been young. Even though he didn't remember his mother's appearance, he remembered her last words, as well as the strength with which the thin hand gripped his wrist.