Chapter 45

As the mistress of the Sima Eldest Branch, Zheng shi would not easily attend a gathering in the capital. But if she left her home, she would be flawless from her hair to her feet. Even the pickiest person could not say anything bad about her.

A servant girl knelt on the ground and pressed her skirt down. The dark patterns rippled like waves, low-key and luxurious.

Sima Ling sat on the side, and looked at her mother surrounded by servant girls. She whispered, "Mother, Third Sister came to see me yesterday."

"What does that family want now?" Zheng shi reached out and allowed a servant girl to put a bangle of a serpent with a bead in its mouth onto her wrist.

"Third Sister wants you to take her along to today's banquet." Sima Ling frowned. She was also conflicted by Third Cousin's request.

"What kind of occasion is today? Does the third branch not know?" With such terrible relatives, no matter how good Zheng shi's upbringing was, she couldn't help but feel discontent. "Today, Second Miss Gu will attend this tea party. What is the third branch attending for?"

Sima Ling remained silent.

"The absurd troubles they have created have shamed the Sima Family more than once. Now, they want to attend the tea party. What is their family thinking?" Zheng shi said coldly. "The third branch must avoid all gatherings that Second Miss Gu will be present at. Even if I do not mind, the host may not welcome us."

"Third Aunt..." Sima Ling thought of the fierce and difficult third aunt. She frowned deeply. The third branch was becoming more senseless in their conduct, and she wanted to ignore them most of the time.

"You don't have to pay attention to the third branch." Zheng shi walked in front of Sima Ling and said in a calm voice, "The third branch is ugly in their conduct. You are going to be married in the first lunar month. Better to stay away from them."

"This daughter understands." Sima Ling knew that Mother would not take Sima Xiang to any of the more important gatherings in the capital after this.

She had not expected the empress seat to land on Gu Ru Jiu. So when she thought of the matters between the Sima third branch and the Gu Family, she was conflicted. Hearing her mother mention her marriage in the first lunar month, she showed slight embarrassment.

Her marriage with the young master of the Shen Family had been set two years ago. But the Shen Family's elders had not yet moved into the capital, and Young Master Shen wanted to reside in the capital, so the marriage was set for the first month of next year.

"The Gu Family's temper..." Zheng shi seemed both admiring and helpless. "Remember what happened at Taihe Palace during the empress dowager's birthday?"

"Third Cousin being frightened by a wild cat?" Sima Ling asked.

"No." Zheng shi shook her head. "The black cat in the carriage may have been a coincidence or man-made, but definitely not because of the Gu Family. The Gu Family is proud and wouldn't use such tactics.

"I was speaking of Xiang Girl losing to Second Miss Gu in the horse race." Zheng shi spread her white fingers and the servant girls dyed them bright red. "The Gu Family's pride is there. If they don't want you to get glory, they will use their strength and abilities to suppress you. This kind of family is usually kind in conduct, but if you offend them, they will crush you into the mud, and you will not be able to come back up."

The third branch was muddling their way through the days in the capital. Sima Yue had lost his position. Even the old master had lost his virtuous reputation completely. The third branch was gradually becoming marginal in the capital.