Chapter 36

"Your Majesty, Officials Sima and Li ask for an audience." He Ming came into the study, bowing. Seeing the emperor busy reviewing memorandums, he didn't dare to look and lowered his head.

"No." Jin Yang said without looking up. "The country has its laws, the family has its rules; Sima Ji's case will not be overturned."

He Ming bowed and left. He came out the doors of Purple Imperial Hall and bowed to the two officials. "Officials, the emperor has no time to see you. Please leave."

Sima Hong felt bitter inside. Facing this eunuch he had never thought important, he became much more polite. "This old official has something to report. Gonggong, please pass a message again."

"Official Sima, it is not that this lowly one is not willing to go, but the emperor is busy with important matters and has no time to receive Officials." He Ming had just recently come to the emperor's service, but he thought he knew the emperor's temper well. At this time, the emperor was definitely not willing to see these two.

"If so, this old official will come again tomorrow." Sima Hong bowed to the hall. Then he turned and slowly walked away, looking so old he was pitiful.

He Ming said, "Official, take care." Then he stood by the side, and kept his eyes to himself.

Li Guang Ji watched Sima Hong and then looked at the Purple Imperial Hall with its open doors. He bowed towards the hall and turned to leave.

He Ming flicked a gaze up at Li Guang Ji and then buried his head expressionlessly.

Inside Purple Imperial Hall, Jin Yang threw the memorandums to the side and sneered coldly. Sima Hong stood outside Purple Imperial Hall and called himself "this old official." Was this using his status as an official of three dynasties to gain pity, or was this reminding him, the young emperor, how important he was?

If one could do as they pleased due to their status, then he, as the ruler of the world, could kill as he wished and treat people like they were animals?

He took a hard gulp of tea to suppress his anger. Jin Yang wrote the words "Approved" on the documents from the Ministry of Justice. His gaze lingered for a moment on the words "Sima Ji." Then he closed the document, his expression frosty.

He was merely executing Sima Ji who had killed someone, and he was getting such resistance. He didn't know how many injustices were buried due to the benefits of the aristocratic families.

Many aristocratic families were connected together and were like local emperors in their home regions, above the officials sent by the court.

Jin Yang thought of what Gu Ru Jiu had said to him. She said, this world would end up in his hands.

"This is Zhen's world..."

##

Chen shi's funeral was grand. Some people said that the passing away of two lives was not auspicious, and so the Gu Family should invite a spiritual master for a ceremony before the burial. Gu Chang Ling, as the head of the family, said directly, "Chen shi is the eldest daughter-in-law of the Gu Family. In life, she was gentle and virtuous. She unfortunately passed away early, but the Gu Family will not fear that she will ruin Gu Family's ancestral tomb."

Many people sympathized with Chen shi's bitter encounter, but they also cared about the fortunes of their ancestral tombs. Seeing that the Gu Family did not care about this, and were burying Chen shi with the full honors of the wife of the heir to the marquis, they sighed over the Gu Family's honor but felt their actions were not wise.

The Gu Family knew of what other people were saying, but to them, the saying that unborn children had fiendish energy and women who died pregnant should not be buried in the ancestral tombs could not outweigh the feelings between them and Chen shi since she married in. If they slighted Chen shi due to these inexplicable rules, then what was different between the Gu Family and animals?