Chapter 11

There was a horse racecourse in the city suburbs reserved for the use of the imperial house and nobility. The officials on duty here greatly anticipated young nobility coming here to race horses as they would receive great rewards each time.

So when they heard that the young masters and mistresses of the Sima Family were inviting others to race horses, they were so happy they started preparing several days in advance. They washed all the horses in the stables even though the nobility would mostly bring their own horses. It was better to be prepared.

This racecourse belonged to the Office of the Imperial Horseman, but the highest official here was just a minor eighth grade official. In front of the sons of nobility, he didn't even have the daring to raise his head.

In the morning, before the sky was even bright, Steward Zhao climbed out of bed, and patrolled the racecourse with others before feeling reassured.

Early in the morning, the nobility came in small groups with their horses, each of them with guards skilled in riding and shooting. They were loudly arrogant and full of spirit, making Steward Zhao and the others who were standing in the corner feel admiration and fear.

The first to arrive were the hosts of this gathering, the Sima Family. The young juniors of the Sima Family were handsome and beautiful, dressed in grand clothing and beautiful jewelry that made countless people feel ashamed.

The next to arrive were people from not especially prestigious families. These people were extremely polite and courteous to the Sima Family, but the Sima Family treated them rather ordinarily.

Just as it was about to be nine o'clock, some young girls came in together. The soft hoof beats attracted attention from many people who looked in their direction.

When they saw that there were people from the Gu, Yang, and Zhang families, some young people got off their horses, and gave friendly smiles to the incomers. These people were mostly ones from families on good terms with the three families, or wanted to be on good terms with their families.

The Yang Family was the paternal family of Gu Ru Jiu's maternal grandmother and the Zhang Family was the husband's family of her sister. So no one was surprised when she arrived with the girls from these two families.

On horseback, Sima Ling hesitated for a moment. Then she gently pulled the reins, urging her horse to walk a few steps in Gu Ru Jiu's direction. "You finally arrived. We were just talking about you right now."

"I would not bear to miss an invitation from Elder Sister Sima." Gu Ru Jiu briskly dismounted from her horse. She looked at Sima Ling with laughter in her eyes.

Sima Ling stilled slightly and then also dismounted. Then she went forward to lightly grip Gu Ru Jiu's hands and said with a faint smile, "We have not met for many days. I have not yet congratulated you."

"That is not anything major that needs so many people to move." Gu Ru Jiu blushed slightly in embarrassment.

Sima Ling smiled and did not mention Gu Ru Jiu becoming a county mistress.

Just a young little girl. Would the emperor want someone like this?

Sweeping a look at the baby fat on Gu Ru Jiu's face, Sima Ling lightened her grip on Gu Ru Jiu's wrist. "Since you are here, have a fun time. There are many people today and it will be lively." As she spoke, Sima Ling released Gu Ru Jiu's hand, smiled and exchanged a few words with Gu Ru Jiu before turning to greet everyone else.

Yang Xi Xue and Zhang Yu Qin saw this and understood. Seeing Gu Ru Jiu still smiling, they knew she definitely had not guessed Sima Ling's thoughts. They sighed helplessly. After the three walked into a corner, Yang Xi Xue spoke. "Jiu Jiu, be careful of the girls from the Sima Family."