Chapter 58

On the bustling street, an inconspicuous little sedan chair stopped by the street corner. A door opened from the yard facing the street. A woman in a veil walked in, and the door closed again.

"Miss Sima." Qi Lian stood up in the pavilion, and bowed to Sima Xiang outside the pavilion. "This one greets you."

Sima Xiang looked coldly at the man. She took off her veil and had Bai Mei wait outside. Then she walked towards the stone table in the pavilion. There was a tea set on the table, and one of the cups was filled with steaming hot tea. "Official has much elegance."

"With a beautiful guest, this one can only pretend." Qi Lian poured a cup of tea and presented it to Sima Xiang with two hands.

Sima Xiang took the teacup and glanced down. She did not drink and placed the cup back on the table. "Official Qi Lian has invited me several times. For what matter?"

"This one heard of Miss Sima's name long ago and wanted to meet, so this one was shameless in making several invitations." Qi Lian invited Sima Xiang to sit down. After she was seated, he lifted up his robe and sat down as well. "This one is joyous that Miss Sima came today."

"As expected of a capable person who became the prime minister so young." Sima Xiang sneered and then said, her expression turning heavy, "Smart people do not speak in implications. Official Qi Lian, speak straight."

If Qi Lian had not mentioned her mother's death in his letter, she would not have come today.

"Miss Sima, when did you ever lose your composure so easily?" Qi Lian took a slow sip of tea and said with a smile, "But I did invite you here because I have something important to discuss."

Sima Xiang lifted her eyelids and didn't speak.

Seeing her react like this, Qi Lian was unconcerned and said directly, "I hear that Miss Sima originally had hopes of entering the palace, but the Gu Family interfered and ruined Miss' chances?"

Sima Xiang found such words funny to hear and smiled scornfully. "Official Qi Lian speaks well."

"Speaking well to beauties is called respect." Qi Lian gave a chuckle, his eyes slightly flirty. "If Miss Sima wasn't so beautiful, this one would not spend so much effort on thinking of how to speak."

Sima Xiang sneered and thought nothing of Qi Lian's words. She did not need this man with unfathomable motives complimenting her beauty.

"The empress in the palace is not half as beautiful as Miss, but the young emperor does not know how to admire beauties. Even I feel injustice on Miss' behalf." Qi Lian sighed. "In terms of family, beauty, talent—she cannot compare to you in even one."

"Official Qi Lian is well-informed. You must know the empress is a person Spiritual Master Chu Yun praised as having good fortune." Sima Xiang's expression was calm. Her emotions were not affected by Qi Lian's crude methods of sowing discord. "Gu shi being the empress is the Mandate of Heaven."

"Mandate of Heaven?" Qi Lian laughed scornfully. "A person like Miss Sima believes that?"

Sima Xiang laughed softly, her eyes moving. "So what if I believe or not?"

"As expected of a daughter of the Sima Family." Qi Lian clapped. "Does Miss Sima want to be free of this kind of life?"

Sima Xiang looked up at him and remained silent.

She was now living in her uncle's house, which appeared to be the same as before her cousin married, but she could feel that her aunt did not like her very much. But so what? She just wanted to rely on the first branch and elevate her own status.