Chapter 55

In the imperial study, Jin Yang looked at Zhang Zhong Han who was standing with his head bowed and suddenly said, "Minister Zhang, how is the military governor of Qingbei, Wei Ting?"

Qingbei was an important fortress bordering Gaoluo and Duobao. Over the years, Great Feng had always stationed troops there. The military governor didn't have the power to command the army directly, but in emergency situations, they could join the army and discuss important issues with the border generals.

This was to avoid the border army not listening to the commands of the court. The military governor and the army would supervise and balance each other.

Hearing His Majesty suddenly ask about the military governor of Qingbei, Zhang Zhong Han bowed and said, "Your Majesty, Wei Ting is widely read. The previous emperor once praised him for having the talent to govern the world."

"Oh?" Jin Yang raised an eyebrow. Someone the previous emperor had praised—were they worthy of the name or...

Zhang Zhong Han understood what His Majesty didn't say and explained, "This person entered court at the recommendation of Official Sima, and originally held a position in the Ministry of War, and then was promoted to assistant minister in the Ministry of War. Later, the military governor of Qingbei betrayed the country. After his entire family was executed, Wei Ting took over the important position of military governor of Qingbei."

"It appears that Wei Ting was very trusted by Father-Emperor back then. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been promoted to such a position." Jin Yang closed the memorandum in his hand and said sarcastically, "Wei Ting has sent a memorandum that the General Commandant of Qingbei, Zhao Jin, has a close relationship with Gaoluo. What does Official Zhang think?"

Zhang Zhong Han stilled upon hearing this and then said, "Your Majesty, this subject does not dare to speak before the matter is investigated and cleared."

"Yes, before the matter is investigated, even you, the prime minister, doesn't dare to speak. But how does Wei Ting, the military governor, using just a few letters of dubious veracity, say confidently that the general guarding the border has betrayed the country?!" Jin Yang threw the memorandum heavily on the ground. "Zhen thinks that some military governors are getting bolder and bolder."

Zhang Zhong Han saw Jin Yang's rage and a fine sweat broke out on his forehead. He glanced at the memorandum thrown on the ground. He didn't dare to pick it up and urged in a small voice, "Your Majesty, please don't be angry and harm yourself for such villains."

Jin Yang snorted. Standing up and putting his hands behind his back, he said in a cold tone, "Official Zhang, when Zhen was in Jin Prefecture, Zhen heard that the retainers of the Sima Family are all over the world. Is this true?"

"All lands under heaven are imperial lands. Even the Sima Family are Your Majesty's subjects." Zhang Zhong Han's cold sweat soaked his inner robe. He bowed and stayed in this position. "Your Majesty, this realm's surname is Jin, not Sima or Li."

Jin Yang laughed softly upon hearing this. But in Zhang Zhong Han's ears, this was particularly awe-inspiring.

"The people frequently say, aristocratic families of steel, and dynasties of water." Jin Yang stood by the window and looked at the tree branches outside swaying in the wind. "How can Zhen, this emperor of water, compare to the prestige of the Sima and Li families?"

"Your Majesty." Zhang Zhong Han sweated heavily. But he could not go wipe that away now. He looked at the emperor by the window, gritted his teeth and knelt down. "Your Majesty, in this subject's eyes, there is only Your Majesty in the world, no Sima and Li families."