Chapter 87

The ennobling of the imperial son was not a major matter in reality. His tomb was repaired, his tablet was remade, and everything was to the regulations of a prince of first rank.

Dead people could not enjoy the benefits of reality, but at least, in the history books, he could leave behind his name, and not just a remark of "sudden death."

Back then, the previous emperor mentioned in court to make the imperial son the crown prince, and the court and inner palace all called him the crown prince. But the imperial son died soon after. He did not go through the ceremony to become the crown prince, and was not even recorded into the genealogy of the imperial family. So in terms of status, he was just an unknown imperial son.

In reality, this was one of the reasons why Empress Dowager Zhou hated the previous emperor. If the previous emperor had not been so high-key and yet incapable of protecting his son, then her child might not have died. Never mind this. After the child died, he never again mentioned making him the crown prince. If her child could have been made the crown prince after his death, she would not worry that her child would be lonely after his death and would have no incense to enjoy.

Empress Dowager Zhou hated the previous emperor. She was very sad when her daughter died, and after her son died as well, she wanted to die. Later, after the case was investigated again and again, after two years, the crime fell on Lin shi.

At that time, she even thought hatefully, rather than Lin shi having committed the crime, it was the other women of the inner palace hoping that she had done it. The emperor had just found a new plaything, so Lin shi became unnecessary.

She then watched this man live more than ten years until his body finally broke down because of his absurd actions. The imperial physicians said that he could recover if he rested, but how could she be willing to let him slowly recover?

Should she wait for him to recover and ruin other women? To her disgust, this man liked to write some stories in his rooms, and let the women of the inner palace act them out.

Scholars and misses, rogue and widows. Some of the things were too disgusting to even think about.

Wasn't it better for him to be dead than alive? At least, the country would have hope then.

Later, as his health declined as she wished, he had to summon the children of Prince Cheng and Prince Rui to the capital. But this man was not willing to admit that he was going to die, so he avoided meeting the young masters of these prince establishments. She was also happy to see this.

Rather than having him choose an heir, it was better for her to choose. At least, the emperor she chose would have some gratefulness toward her.

Empress Dowager Zhou saw at a glance that Jin Yang was different from the other children. Even though he had no mistakes in his movements, she could sense that this child had something that the children from the other prince establishments did not have.

When she asked about Jin Yang's life, she understood. So he had been Sima shi's child, but she heard that after his mother passed, Prince Cheng was not good to him. His stepmother and half-siblings liked to bully him. How could such a child learn his manners so well?

She wanted an emperor with courage and abilities. At least, he should not be as lusty as the previous emperor. Jin Yang also had something that she wanted—a decisive killing nature that an emperor should have.

A person who could achieve this step in a difficult situation, when he came to rule the court, would rise to meet all difficulties.

So she chose Jin Yang, and Jin Yang had not disappointed her. Studious, talented, hardworking, farsighted, and daring.