Chapter 32

The knuckles of Jin Yang's hands hidden in his sleeves were white as he clenched his fists hard. But his expression was exceptionally calm, like a puddle of dead water. No one could see his emotions.

The two people standing in the room had prominent positions. They were his two grand-uncles, the commandery prince of Ping, and the commandery prince of Kang.

"Your Majesty, heaven and earth are in harmony, the yin and yang are balanced. Men and women marrying is the destiny of heavens. I am already very old. I only hope to see Your Majesty and the empress in harmony." The commandery prince of Ping swayed where he stood, but his voice was not quiet at all. "The miss of the Sima Family has virtue and talent, as well as a noble birth. She qualifies for the phoenix throne."

He was the oldest commandery prince in the imperial house and the closest to the throne. While it was meddlesome for him to mention marriage to Jin Yang, this was not an overstep.

But while his actions did not transgress, it did not mean that Jin Yang felt pleased. The marriages in the world were always ones of willingness. There was no reason to force the cow to drink.

Jin Yang knew that these people dared to direct him because they felt he was young and ignorant. They all tried to pursue benefits for themselves.

Was the commandery prince of Ping working for the Sima Family because the wife to the heir of the commandery prince of Ping was a miss from the Sima Family?

"Zhen understands Granduncle's concern, but marriage is an important matter." Jin Yang smiled slightly, looking like a kind monarch. "The Sima family's etiquette and teachings are flawless, but..."

He paused slightly, his gaze landing on the commandery prince of Kang. "The daughters of other families in the capital cannot compare?"

Commandery Prince Kang was not a person who liked offending others. Commandery Prince Ping had pulled him along today because he wanted to strengthen his position.

They had not been in favour in childhood. After their father-emperor had passed away, they had just been imperial sons without any title. Later, once their elder brother ascended, he had remembered them and ennobled them as commandery princes. While they had an allowance of eight hundred households, they did not have their own lands. In the imperial house, they were considered invisible people who just ate for free.

After Jin Yang took the throne, their status was not high but their seniority was. They relied on how the young emperor's foundation was not stable, and wanted to use their status as elders to pull over some of the aristocratic families, and gain benefits for their grandchildren.

They had lived muddle-headed for most of their life. While they were not smart, they were not stupid. Hearing the emperor say such a thing, they knew the emperor was displeased with the Sima Family.

What could they say? Say that the miss of the Sima Family was the best, and no one could rival her?

In these years, many aristocratic families had moved to the capital, all of them famed locally. Even if they truly felt that the Sima Family miss was outstanding, they would not dare to say that no one could rival her.

"Your Majesty speaks too seriously. The ladies of aristocratic families are naturally all good in their upbringing." Commandery Prince Kang saw the state of the situation and hurriedly stood up to keep the peace. "Commandery Prince Ping is just worried about Your Majesty's marriage and was slightly impetuous in his words."

"Even if Uncles are worried for my son's marriage, you should discuss with this Grieving One. Why have you come to interrogate my son?"

The two old commandery princes turned back in unison and saw Empress Dowager Zhou coming over wearing a nine-phoenix robe. Her expression was majestic and authoritative.