Chapter 96

Part One

The black carriage passed through the tall city gates. Jin Yang could hear how lively the streets were through the curtains. He gripped the jade pendant hard. He was trying to control the smile on his face, so much it was distorted.

He had finally come to the capital, to this place.

He was very curious about the world. But from start to end, he sat there upright, and did not lift the curtain.

After some time, there was the sound of laughter coming from outside, and he could faintly hear words of the Li and Sima families.

He released the jade pendant and his expression turned cold.

Later, the carriage stopped at a building. When Jin Yang entered the courtyard, he heard the servants mention that this place was used to receive the envoys from other countries and the vassal princes.

Now, there were five sons of vassal princes living here. One of them would become the future emperor. So the servants did not dare to slight them, and were polite and careful in front of them.

In Jin Yang's memories, he had rarely received such treatment. He looked at these careful servants, and took a sip of tea.

"Young Master, there is no new tea here—please understand." The steward of the building saw Jin Yang drink the tea expressionlessly and thought he was dissatisfied. He bowed, stating the cause and asking for forgiveness.

"No matter." He shook his head and did not say more.

The steward sighed in relief and after leaving, thought, the eldest legitimate son of Prince Cheng really had an imposing presence. He had heard that the other's maternal family was the Sima Clan. No wonder he was like this.

Then they stayed in the building for more than a month. Other than teachers coming to teach them daily, the emperor did not summon them.

Jin Yang's second brother and the illegitimate son of Prince Rui could not sit still, going out together each day to play. His third younger brother hid in the courtyard and did not come out. Jin Yang and Prince Rui's heir, Jin Liang, appeared outstanding.

But Jin Yang knew that a few years ago, Prince Rui had asked to make Jin Liang his heir, so the possibility that the emperor would adopt Jin Liang was not great.

They stayed another fortnight or so in the building. The previous emperor had not held court for more than ten days, but still did not summon them, the sons from the prince establishments. Jin Yang worked to absorb knowledge from all sides as he thought, the current emperor must be very unwilling.

He had done as he pleased for half of his life, but had no son of his own to inherit his throne. To this proud and mediocre emperor, this was a great blow.

But regardless of whether he was willing or not, all people were equal in the face of death.

Jin Yang was woken up from bed during the night. Hearing the sound of mourning bells outside, his eyes opened wide. The emperor had passed away?

In this moment, he had complicated emotions. Anticipation, terror, helplessness and anxiousness.

The carriage moved quickly. As he sat in the swaying carriage, he lifted up a corner of the curtain. The streets were pitch-black, endless, borderless and empty.

Suddenly, threads of light appeared ahead. He looked over, and using the light from the two white lanterns hung by the gates, he saw the words on the plaque.

Gu Residence.

Jin Yang had heard of this family but knew very little. He just knew that the patriarch of this family was very talented, and his two sons were also accomplished.