Chapter 79

The Li Family likely did not think Prince Zhong would leave so easily. They stilled, and then exchanged bows with Gu Cun Jing.

Li Huai Gu and Gu Cun Jing were of the same generation. It was most suitable for him to discuss such an awkward matter with Gu Cun Jing. The other elders of the Li Family liked their faces, and Prince Zhong was stomping on their faces to the ground. They were burning with anger inside. After a few polite words with Gu Cun Jing, they all returned home.

"Official Gu." Li Huai Gu bowed to Gu Cun Jing. "The summer is hot—how about coming to my humble abode to drink some tea?"

"This one came on His Majesty's orders today. Since the matter is finished, this one should return to the palace to report." Gu Cun Jing returned the bow, and then said, conflicted, "How did things get like this?"

Li Huai Gu had complicated feelings towards Gu Cun Jing. Because of the past matters, he rarely interacted with the Gu Family. Now he saw Gu Cun Jing being full of energy and remembered that three years ago, when the accident happened at the race course, it had been Gu Cun Jing who came to take Gu Ru Jiu away.

He had once been curious how the Gu Family raised their daughters. The eldest daughter had married into the Zhang Family, and all of them were willing to treat her like a treasure. The second daughter married the emperor, enchanting the emperor to the point he was not willing to take a consort, and only favored her alone.

In reality, not just the two Gu Family daughters—even the two sons were very welcome by the capital's women. Gu Zhi Yu, a man with a dead wife, could cause countless women to fall for him. He did not know what skills the Gu Family had.

No matter how complicated he felt, when facing Gu Cun Jing, Li Huai Gu was polite, and recounted what had happened yesterday.

"My father planned to visit His Highness Prince Zhong in person today. But His Highness' personality was like this..." Li Huai Gu grimaced. He looked back at the black gates, and at the onlookers. "The prince is very noble, and the Li Family does not dare to offend him. But Father is a first-rank official, and is bullied by Prince Zhong like this. It really is..."

When he said this, he had an embarrassed expression. Then he looked up at Gu Cun Jing. Seeing the other seemed to be listening intently, he said, "Since Official Gu has important duties, this one will not disturb you any longer."

Gu Cun Jing nodded, and got on his horse. He said to Li Huai Gu, "Young Master Li, this one will go first."

Li Huai Gu seemed to say nothing, but in reality, said everything. He just did not say clearly that Prince Zhong was bullying His Majesty's subjects and dismissing His Majesty's authority. The Li Family feared making things difficult, so they endured and did not confront Prince Zhong.

The Li Family was putting themselves in a position of accepting a compromise.

"This one will tell His Majesty faithfully this matter between your family and His Highness Prince Zhong." Gu Cun Jing had average feelings towards the Li Family. Otherwise, he would not have objected so strongly to his little sister marrying into the Li Family back then.

He glanced at the stone lions on the two sides of the gates. Both lions were speckled with black ink dots. He feared they could not be washed off.

"Farewell." Gu Cun Jing pulled on the reins, turned his horse and moved in the direction of the imperial palace.

##

After returning to the palace, Gu Cun Jing entered the imperial study after He Ming reported. Who knew that not just the emperor was there, but so was his family's little sister.