Chapter 22

The young emperor had just turned sixteen two months ago. According to the laws of the Feng Dynasty, the men were only of legal marriageable age when they were seventeen. Many people among the common people did not follow the rules, and the government offices basically did not pursue these matters if people did not complain. But Jin Yang, as the country's ruler, could not ignore the law.

While there was no hurry for the marriage, one could start considering the choice for empress. The members of the imperial family had hinted to Empress Dowager Zhou about this matter. Regardless of whether they were truly thinking for the imperial family or had other intentions, this proved that Jin Yang's marriage was the focus of much attention.

The people of Jing were curious and Empress Dowager Zhou was also under considerable pressure. The Li and Sima families had thoughts about the empress seat. Even Grand Princess Deyi, who lived in the Sanggan Commandery, sent a letter mentioning the emperor's marriage. The suitable candidate Grand Princess Deyi mentioned was the granddaughter of the eldest Sima branch, Sima Ling.

If this was any other person, Empress Dowager Zhou could have refused directly, but the writer was Grand Princess Deyi. In terms of seniority, she had to call Grand Princess Deyi Aunt.

But in Grand Princess Deyi's letter, she appeared to recommend the miss of the Sima Family, but also lightly mentioned her own granddaughter. The meaning was deep.

The Sanggan Commandery's Shen Family was a famed and prestigious family going back a few centuries. Not long after Grand Princess Deyi married into the Shen Family, she followed her husband out of Jing to settle down in Sanggan County. Compared to those princesses that had male courtesans and shamed their husbands, this princess was gentle and low-key.

Empress Dowager Zhou felt a headache after reading the letter. She felt she should not be the only person troubled, so she sent someone to invite Jin Yang. Mother and son were silent as they stared at the letter in thought.

"Does Emperor have anyone in mind?" Empress Dowager Zhou did not want to be at odds with the emperor on this matter. She had refused without thinking the daughters the Zhou Family had sent into the palace as consorts. They had taken so many steps already. Right now, she was preparing to have the emperor have his capping ceremony early so he could govern on his own. How could she be willing to have the emperor misunderstand her on this?

Jin Yang shook his head. "This son's entire mind is focused on governance and has no attention to spare for these aristocratic family misses." His gaze swept across the words "Sima" on the letter and his brow creased slightly. "The misses of the Sima Family... might not be suited to me."

"Their family's misses are outstanding in beauty and presence. How do you know they are not suitable without ever seeing them?" While Empress Dowager Zhou felt that the Sima Family was not a good choice, this was still Jin Yang's birth mother's paternal family. Even though everyone in the world could state their opinion on the Sima Family, she could not easily speak up.

Jin Yang smiled, and closed the letter. He bowed to the empress dowager. "Please, Mother-Empress, write a refusal to the grand princess. Just say this son, being young, uncapped and not in charge of court, cannot discuss matters of marriage."

Not getting married before ruling on his own?

Looking thoughtfully at Jin Yang, Empress Dowager Zhou smiled and said, "Never mind. For you, I will be the villain. No matter how noble the grand princess is, she cannot overtake you. If you are not willing, no one can force you."

Jin Yang stood and bowed deeply to Empress Dowager Zhou. "This son thanks Mother-Empress."

"No need for thanks." Empress Dowager Zhou lifted him up. "We mother and son are connected in mind. It doesn't matter if I am the villain for you. I only hope you can be kind to the people and give Great Feng a prosperous era. Then it will not fail all I am doing now."